7th gen power thread. READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!!!

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
those Ks will eat up u'r money fast...

with a turbo d i can build , turbo , install , and tune for the price of a decent k swap,

so for the money it cost to get 200 hp with a k swap, you could spend less on the d and have a built d tuboed pushing if not 300hp then more

that's 100 hp..... that's all i need to say, plus if u think about it the d17a2 is the the D series to boost, its the biggest and the most advanced D, y8s are great engines too, but the 17 has torque to back it up

MESzendrey

5+ Year Member
wow this forum was very helpful thank you

-newbie-

speedfoos

5+ Year Member
Good write-up buds, I mean snake!

Couple things could be tweaked but you hit the major points. These little D17s respond really well to boost and a cam, that would be my recommendation. K-swaps are reliable as soon as you drop them in, boosted D17s require near constant f**king with to keep running cleanly. For the money, a turbo D is your best bet IMO. Sure a k-series has a lot more room to grow to make big numbers, but anything over 300-325 whp and you have major traction issues.

i'm looking to get a chip, possibily winding out my gear ratios... i want more response. anyone got any ideas??
This makes no sense. There was one company that makes a different final drive for the D17 (can't remember) but it was $600. A computer chip? You need to read up a little more. EMS just allows a tuner to, well, tune your car to accomodate the major mods you have done to it. Not worth it with I/H/E.

lvdgrl85

Noob/ Stock Owner
5+ Year Member
hey, Im new and that saved me a lot of question asking! Thanks!

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hey im new, this is such a wonderful and great site in which ive learned many many things, thank you club civic and members!

vanillakahlua

5+ Year Member
my 02 civic :(

um.. well.. I read that whole post.. apparently 7th gen civic is not that great for racing.. I love my civic, it's my 1st car and stuff so yea I wanna race it, I wanted to do an engine swap on my civic. I read up on k20a2 vs an a3 and well, it looks like the a2 is what I want (which is what my bro told me to I should get in the 1st place lol). The reason I'm planning on doing the swap is so I can turbo my car. I have a 5-speed 02 civic that has stock everything except I got it exaust from the cat back (I didnt want a muffler, so I don't have one) and I got aem v2 intake (which I'll have to get a new intake after the swap). It's just for fun, I wanna see how fast I can get it, learn more about cars, and cause it'll be fun for me and my bro to do. I like helping him when he takes his car apart and puts new parts on it. What do you all think about doing k20a2 swap and putting turbo on an 02 civic? I wanna hear the negatives and positives. If it's not worth it then I may decide to get another car. Maybe.. I really like my car hah. Don't make fun lol.

After reading your post I feel like I'd need one of those hatch backs if Im planning on putting money into a car to make it faster.. which (no offense) I do not want.. I know you can make them light weight and if you turbo it, it can go a lot faster than my car.. but hell, I'd rather trade my car in for an rsx then get a hatch back.. I just don't like them. Plus, I feel like everyone where I live has one. My bro is pretty confident that I can make it really fast since I have the money to put into it. So, I'm just wondering do you even think it's worth it to go through with it all on my 02 civic? Has anyone done a swap on an 02 civic and been happy about the end result and felt that it was worth it?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Vanilla - I don't know where you saw that you need to buy a hatchback in order to make it fast. The Hatchback is like the redheaded stepchild of the 7th gens. Stick with your car.

If you have the money, swapping and turbocharging is an excellent option, and will make the car a hell of a lot of fun (don't forget important stuff like new brakes and suspension though.) However, you can just built the internals and turbocharge the car without swapping too and still make a lot of power. It's up to you really. Thoroughly research your options and don't rush into anything.

vanillakahlua

5+ Year Member
Oh I didn't read that I needed a hatchback, I just felt that if 7th gen wasn't good enough then I'd have to get the honda that I see the majority of people that race Hondas driving, which in my city is the hatch back. Thanks for letting me know what you think. I'll definitely do some more research. =)

King_Roy'L

5+ Year Member
Hey guys, i'm pretty much a newb but have been reading and trying to research civic for years. Always wanted one, now I got one. I kinda tried planning out some things I want to do...more pep to pass people than anything. But just wanted to list some things I wanna do to my '01 Civic EX coupe.

AEM V2 Intake-Cam Gear-Pulley Kit, OBX Header-Exhaust-Cat Combo, Walbro Fuel Pump, & a Koyo Radiator(have a heavy foot afraid of over heating, I know that its initially for a turbo set up or whatever but didn't think it would hurt to add).

Is there anything I should know before I start investing in all that? I'm most likely gonna start on suspension before the engine, but what do ya'll think?

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
cam gear isnt gonna do much of anything
obx header is no good

hp header on truehonda.com is the best to get

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and the stock honda cooling system is more than adequate for what your doing... no need to put a 300 dollar radiator in that isnt going to make a difference.

a cam gear is not going to do anything... period.. the car doesnt have a distributor to advance and retard timing... so adding a cam gear to a coil pack system... is going to freak the ECU out and it will fight every adjustment you do... and you will find no gains and possibly worse mileage.

a cam gear is used in conjunction with the distributor which you dont have.

i agree with previous.. the OBX header is garbage.. the meagan has been known to be nice? i dont know.. i know everything from OBX is crap..

and to save you some cash..

buy an Ebay cheap intake system.... toss the filter away.. and purchase a K&N... for a mere 60 bux... you have the same benefits as the AEM... without the 300 dollar price tag.

a walbro fuel pump...unless its the stock replacement of 195LPH... you wont need anything else unless you are turboing your car. the walbro 255 is too much on a stock fuel system. i have experienced a severe loss in mileage because of running too rich. and.. you can let the car drop below 1/4 tank of gas or else the pump will start to fail... also... learned from experience.

King_Roy'L

5+ Year Member
Ok I see. Thanks, I Think I might stick with the V2(found a site I can get it for cheaper than $300) cause rain & high puddles are a problem around me and if I go with the cheap CAI off ebay I can't use the bypass that you can get for the AEM CAI. I don't want my ride to get water in the engine & I think the V2 isn't as close to the ground as the CAI. Unless Ya'll think there is a way around it, but I don't want a short ram intake.

But what about the pulley kit? Will that mess with the ECU cause as I understand it, it is better than factory.

Who do ya'll suggest for the exhaust & high-flow cat?

And what other parts do ya'll suggest for a little more kick, I have read the opening of the thread a couple times and plan on doin' some of them.

King_Roy'L

5+ Year Member
Yeah, Read read about the UR SS Series and it says its real light weight and may even help with gas mileage but pretty steep price for the set, but I might go that way since I'm not spending too much on performance.

About the HP Headers, love the Header + Cat combo but what about the "off road use only" will that prsent a problem with the law cause I'm not in the best situation to get in to it with them.

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah if you have to pass emissions you will need a different highflow cat

Mish Mash

5+ Year Member
Hello everyone.

Looking to get some more oooomph out of my Civic 2.0, I wondered if a air induction kit is worth the money and effort? How easy are these to install for a novice that's willing to learn? Any other mod's that are relatively cheap, that will give a boost?

Thanks very much.