7th gen VTEC

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Please settle this for me. Does the 7th gen EX have normal VTEC? Somebody is trying to tell me that I have a lower level VTEC than the normal VTEC.

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes, it has a lower level of vtec called i-vtec. besically its optimised to use less fuel.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
786mine said:
yes, it has a lower level of vtec called i-vtec. besically its optimised to use less fuel.
Does this hold true in the EX as well? And doesnt it say i-VTEC on the engine if you have i-VTEC?

Also, i-VTEC. He's saying that it kicks in earlier... and that saves you gas. I don't understand how a longer VTEC point could save gas. Can somebody explain this to me?

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
786mine said:
no, no, no

the "i" in i-VTEC represents the infinately variable intake cam sprocket on the new K-series motors. You might me thinking of the old VTEC-E motors.

Joe, your D17A3 motor has the same normal VTEC system found in other D-series VTEC motors, such as the D16Z6 or the D16Y8.

Last edited:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
RaYrAy said:
no, no, no

the "i" in i-VTEC represents the infinately variable intake cam sprocket on the new K-series motors. You might me thinking of the old VTEC-E motors.

Joe, your D17A3 motor has the same normal VTEC system found in other D-series VTEC motors, such as the D16Z6 or the D16Y8.
I have a D17A2..lol. Does this still hold true?

Civic04grl

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay, so i'm not sure about the 03 models, but i have an 04 and its just a VTEC motor, not iVtec... it is a K-series, it just the cam doesn't changes degrees like the SI or RSX, so it's more like a b-series motor. the cams have lobes on them and they open and close the valves at certain times. the cams are attached to the cam gears and with adjustable ones you could change the degrees on them this makes it either more rich or lean at certain rpms so you can adjust the torque curve for either low end or high end... for drag racing it is usually for high end, well your car's engine has a fixed cam gear you can buy an adjustable cam gear for it, but you can only set it while the car is stopped.with the new i-vtec engine, the cam gears adjust automatically whenever you need the power at the low end or top end of revs honda got the idea from racers always using adjustable cam gears on their cars. the i-vtec adjusts it automatically so it's more fuel efficient while providing more power at the same time...all in all Vtec is Vtec, i don't believe there is a "lower" level....oops correction since you and both have D17A2 engines, it's a D-series not K...

01S2K

VTEC Worshipper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not sure about the D Series

The way I understand it though is the K20A3 in a lesser version of I-VTEC whereas the K20A2 is the real deal similar to the B and H series motors but more advanced.

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
I have a D17A2..lol. Does this still hold true?
which ever one is the single-cam VTEC motor.... i get the numbers mixed up

2KSIR said:
The way I understand it though is the K20A3 in a lesser version of I-VTEC whereas the K20A2 is the real deal similar to the B and H series motors but more advanced.
the K20A3 in the Civic Si runs on 1 intake valve with a slight cam lobe profile, then at 2000rpm, 'VTEC' is engaged, oil pressure locks the rockers arms together and the larger cam opens both intake valves.

VTEC in the K20A2 Type S motor works much in the same familiar saw that B & H series VTEC motors work

Last edited:

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i suck at 7th gens so i went to hondacars.com to find out for u guys.

btw, only K-series are i-vtec. D-series are not.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. In most cases my friend is more knowledgeable than me... that's why I started to second guess myself... but I guess he wasnt this time... a very good thing to know =o)

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. In most cases my friend is more knowledgeable than me... that's why I started to second guess myself... but I guess he wasnt this time... a very good thing to know =o)
take your new found knowledge and shove it right back up his ass! :thumbs up