'89 Civic DX, worth the work?

Shertigal

Hello!

So I got this old 89 Civic hatchback DX a year ago. It's currently got somewhere around 260,000 miles on the engine. I'm an active college student who really likes the build of this car and I've put a lot of money into keeping it going.

Here's what I know I'm going to have to fix.
-The starter is going out (I think) so I need to get that done. I've never replaced one before, but I think I can do it myself.
-The transmission is going as well (when I hit 20 mph and I've got to much pressure on the gas, the engine revs until I let off the pedal and try again. this is an automatic transmission) and I'll need to replace/repair if possible.
-It's leaking oil from somewhere (still trying to figure out where exactly it's coming from)

I love the feel of this car and where it sits on the street, though my parents would say it's an attachment made because it's my first car. I would love it if it had a little more power to make it through the mountains (I like to go hiking, and this car struggles to get through the sierras).

My questions to those who would be so kind as to reply;

Is the car worth the fixes it needs or would I be better off getting myself a newer car? What is there that I, a random citizen with little mechanical knowledge, would be capable of fixing/doing myself? If I replace the transmission would that make it more capable of getting through the mountains? If not, should I get the engine replaced as well? Is there a more powerful engine I could put in that wouldn't make worse my average gas mileage?

Thanks so much,

A Curious College Student

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just a do whole motor swap, there are threads everywhere on how and what to do, step by step. Put a low mileage motor, and trans in it and enjoy the s**t out of it. Is it worth it? money wise no, but if you like the car then its worth it to you.

also, post tits.

A Curious random internet guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krukowskid

4th gen is worth every money!
If you can change your discs and brake pads you prob. can replace your starter.

After you repair your tranny, you will get extra 50HP. :D (i think its clutch problem)

About oil leaks. Is that d15b2? Clean everything and After 100 Miles Check your distributor, oil pan, and valve cover.

I dont have experience with A/T, so I can tell you nothing about it, but except that 88-91 civics are so easy to fix

Shertigal

What engine(s) would be suggested for this Civic since I want more power to handle driving through mountains and inclines?

Last edited by a moderator:

Krukowskid

Ive told you that you do not need more power. Just repair your car and it will be suitable for any condition.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@Shertigal, I merged your other thread into this one, and tweaked your comments accordingly, since you are already on that topic here.

Keep a few things in mind. If the transmission is failing then there is power loss from lack of functional efficiency. Do explain why it is you feel the tranny is "on its way out" as that will paint a better picture. If the tranny is truly in need of replacement then look into a better compatible tranny to install.

Also, with 260,000 miles that engine has most like lost some power if it wasnt well maintained, so make sure you cover maintenance tasks with quality parts and you may be able to restore its original "pep" and be able to traverse your inclines much better.

Perform a valve adjustment on it. I definitely improved my inclined capacity off that alone when I lived in Kentucky. Have a fuel system cleaning done at a shop. The product and equipment method they use will blast virtually every significant deposit right out and greatly restore the injector function. You may even wish to consider an injector refurbishing from OsideTiger.com. They did a great job on mine. Check out the thread below for further ideas.

http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-better-mpg.215664/

If you truly enjoy this car and it suits your needs well then performing restorative maintenance is far more cost effective than just swapping the motor.

Shertigal

Thank you! I'll definitely do those first!

The reason I say the tranny is going is because when I'm picking up speed and I put just a bit too much pressure on the gas around 20mph the engine revs. Sometimes it's worse than others, and sometimes (rarely) it won't do it at all. I've noticed it around 30mph it does it a little too. I'm not a speed racer. I can't be in this car, it picks up speed way too slow. A few months ago my timing belt broke and I thought that maybe a worn timing belt had been the problem, but when I got the car back from the shop it was still the same. That's why I think my transmission is going.

I don't know much about cars, but everywhere I've looked has mad me believe its the tranny.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Then try a thorough tranny flush first and start all the maintenance catch-up. Your fuel system may just be gunked up. Change the fuel filter too. Bad trannys tend to be pretty obvious.

daperez13

Respected
Hello Shertigal,

I admire your passion for keeping things simple and the willingness to perform these tasks yourself. Rather than writing a long novel about what [I think] you should do, I'll point out some key factors that will hopefully help you decide what might be best for you...

1) Buying a repair manual (Haynes, Chilton, etc.) for your specific vehicle will make any repairs that much easier.

2) Fixing an oil leak can be tricky, you definitely have to identify the source of the leak first and then determine if it's something you're willing to tackle. Don't write this off as impossible, see # 1 above and read first to see what it takes to get to the source of the leak. It's harder to replace a rear main seal vs. an oil pan or valve cover gasket. Still, most repairs can be done if you are mechanically inclined, have decent tools and a space to work in. Cover all your main connectors, including your fuse box, distributor and battery and give your engine a cleaning with an engine cleaner of your choice (preferably one that's environmentally friendly). Then hose your engine down. Be sure to do this when the engine is cool! Run your engine for a couple minutes (then turn it off), grab a telescoping mirror and a flash light and go for the hunt. Be very cautious of hot parts, wear protective glasses, clothing, gloves, etc.

3) Anytime you perform work in areas that are relatively not easy to get to, consider replacing other older components, belts, gaskets, seals, etc. It's usually worth spending the extra money right then, rather than taking the chance at having something else fail and having to tear-down again.

4) I agree with HeX. Give your trans a fluid and filter change; you can have a reputable shop perform a complete flush if it's within your budget. It might be what your trans needs. If you determine that the trans is bad, you can head down to your local junk yards and see if you can score a used one. Look for one that is physically in good condition from the outside; if it has cracks, trans fluid leaking or even if the pan has been removed, move on to the next. Check the oil to see if it looks or smells burnt. At that point, you can remove the oil pan and see if everything looks decent, check for excessive metal shavings or other wear. Be aware that you are taking a chance here, you might be better off rebuilding your existing one or purchasing a rebuilt unit.

5) Anytime you troubleshoot a problem, start with the easy things first. Something as simple as a fuse or loose cable/connector can fix your problem.

6) If you have not performed services at the recommended intervals or the previous owner(s) neglected the car, it will be harder to achieve your goals in respect to it's capabilities. Starting with a complete tune up, then following with more advanced maintenance/repairs would probably restore some of that lost power.

7) Do not waste your money on so-called bolt-on power adders, they are generally not worth the price tag for the performance gain unless you can find killer deals.

8) Do not go to dealers for repairs.

9) Look around for vehicles for sale in your area, it does not hurt to go look at them in person and try to negotiate a lower price. Consider a manual car vs. an automatic. They can prove to perform better, longer and cost less; aside from how fun they are. Obviously preference is key factor.

10) Search, search, search. Although not everything on the internet is completely accurate, you can get an overall idea of the intent.

...yep, still a novel but I hope it was useful :cool:.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Download the Helm service manual instead. The Haynes aren't nearly as detailed, dont cover everything, and are known to be occasionally inaccurate. You can just print out the pages as you need them instead of paying the $100+ for the book itself.

saquon

What engine(s) would be suggested for this Civic since I want more power to handle driving through mountains and inclines?
If you wanna swap it and still have a nice auto trans I'll say go with a B20 comes out the CRV so it will pull your hatch like noting

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Shertigal

Thank you both so much for the help! Sadly my car was stolen off my driveway before I could follow your suggestions and I won't be able to tell you if those worked out any time soon :/

Shertigal

I know! I'm devistated. I was really looking forward to tuning it up and enjoying the hell out of it as long as possible. Hopefully the thief realizes it's not worth anything to him (apart from the radio) and leaves it someplace.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That sucks man :(

On the bright side, your question of worth keeping or buying a new car has been solved :what:

Shertigal

So the car was found!! YAY for having a shotty starter;)

Anyway, I'm going to be fixing the starter myself in a few days and I was going to bring it into the mechanic to flush the trans but I did flush the fuel injector system and that helped a bit with the picking up speed problem=) Thank you all for helping out and being supportive! You're awesome!

Shertigal

I just replaced the starter, and flushing the trans had worked wonders for getting it to make that smooth transition out of 20mph! Thank you so much, everyone!

Sadly, this will be my last post pertaining to this car specifically. Yesterday my sister wrecked the car, and as much as I loved my little project car, it's now a complete loss. If anyone knows of a good (cheap) 4th gen somewhere around Lincoln/Roseville/Sacramento California, please let me know! It can have some minor things to fix, but I'm a college student, so it needs to also be able to be a daily commuter!