91 Civic LX low compression

91LXDriver

You turn the distributor to adjust the spark timing.

The timing belt's position on the cam and crank pulleys defines the mechanical timing. When you are unable to set the spark timing (assuming you adjusted the latter correctly), it generally indicates the mechanical timing is off.

Removing the upper timing belt cover to check the mechanical timing should only take about 10 minutes.
I thought to check the mechanical timing one would need check the crank gear also????

91LXDriver

I do remember when I had to replace the water this summer I made extra sure that the timing marks were correct when I re-installed the timing belt.

91LXDriver

So according to the cam gear marks and the tdc Mark on the crank pulley the timing is off. Can this be fixed without pulling everything apart....

91LXDriver

Here are the pics I took. IMG_20171227_1106138_rewind_kindlephoto-64141654.jpg IMG_20171227_1102165_rewind.jpg you can see the tdc Mark to far right edge of the pic

91LXDriver

That's the best I can do with the pics, the up marking on cam gear is "up", the horizontal markings on the cam gear are in line with the edge of the head, and the timing marks show the tdc Mark is off. If I'm missing something here please advise.

91LXDriver

If I'm understanding this correctly the cam marks need to be inline with the head edge and the tdc mark needs to be as it now shows in the last photos. Question is can this be remedied without taking everything apart??

91LXDriver

How old is the water pump?

When you have the timing belt removed, check for oil leaks from the cam and crank oil seals. If you see any leaks, replace the seals as well. It's a relatively easy job.
Water pump was replaced this past summer, 2017, due to water leak, no oil leaks from cam seal or crank seal.

91LXDriver

Nothing looks damaged. Anything special I should know when installing the new belt other than the timing marks line up and it's at tdc????

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Water pump was replaced this past summer, 2017, due to water leak, no oil leaks from cam seal or crank seal.
How long after this did it start having problems? IMO new belt, tensioner and send it..

Sent from my boujea ass phone

91LXDriver

What is the theory/logic/reasoning behind replacing timing belt such as I'm going through as opposed to readjusting the current belt/timing???? Curious....