91 Civic Problem

1991CivicEf9

Cruiser
Alright so I my 91 civic is still having issues. Whenever I try to start it, hot or cold, it sprays out coolant out of the radiator overflow bottle. I just replaced the thermostat and the Ect sensor, so those weren't the problem. Please help me! Ask any questions if I didn't make anything clear enough.

spad3dEK

5+ Year Member
is the radiator plugged? sounds like you have to much pressure and do you have the right cap?

1991CivicEf9

Cruiser
ummm well the cap does not leak or anything and the radiator is still pretty new. its crazy cause when i did the thermostat and put new OEM blue honda coolant in it seemed like it was working fine and the fans kicked on properly but when i took it out for a drive it started acking up. i stopped about 2 miles away and the coolant was pouring out the over flow bottle soooo... not really sure whats going on

kwiks93

Did it start overheating, is that why you changed the thermostat???? Almost sounds like you have compression in the coolant system which normally happens when you blow a head gasket.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, white smoke is usually coolant burning up in the combustion chambers, ie your head gasket is leaking. Sounds bad too. It's not too bad to replace, actually. Getting the intake off or trying to get the head off with the intake still attached is the only hard part other than getting the crank pulley bolt off (which isn't terrible with the right tools).

kwiks93

Sorry do be the the guy to give you the bad news, but depending on how hot it got, you might want to have the head checked cause it may have warped too. Agree with Hendo about doing the work and if you take it apart change the timing belt and water pump just to CYA.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
something wants me to ask if you put the thermostat in backwards, but Im pretty sure they only go in one way lol

how hard does is "spray" into the overflow, thats some serious compression going into the cooling system, like it would hardly run at all I would think

1991CivicEf9

Cruiser
something wants me to ask if you put the thermostat in backwards, but Im pretty sure they only go in one way lol

how hard does is "spray" into the overflow, thats some serious compression going into the cooling system, like it would hardly run at all I would think
When I purchased the car, there was no thermostat and it still had the same problem. And it sprays massive amounts like there is a lot of compression coming out.