92 Civic Ignition Switch shematics?

Coltsdog

5+ Year Member
My buddy was asking me if I could find the schematics for a 92 Civic, with the 1.5, AT Trans. he was wanting the layout for it, or something close, he thinks the switch is bad, and before he goes spending $80 he want to review and go through everything to make sure he doesn't waste money.

Anyone have anything that may help me out?

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Here is the information you need to read error codes on 92-95 Civic and Del Sol (CRX). Those cars are OBD-I, so the same info should be usable for any other OBD-I Honda. I have not had interest in other Honda cars, so i don't know what year Accords and Preludes are OBD-I.

Anyway, off to instructions.

There is a 2-pin (most likely green in color) connector by the ECU or somewhere under the passenger's side dash. It's a Data Link Connector. Connect it's two pins with a piece of wire. Watch out not to get jolted while you're connecting the pins.

You will read error codes on the gauge cluster, on the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. Turn the key to position "II" and watch the lamp blink. Error codes are reported by a number of blinks.

There are short and long blinks. Long blinks mean 10, and short blinks mean 1. For example, if you get "long-long-short-short-short", it means error code 23. There is a short pause between each flash (long or short) and a long pause between 2 error codes. There will always be long flashes before short flashes. So you cannot expect number 23 to be reported as "short-long-short-long-short".

Take note of all error codes reported by ECM (Electronic Control Module). Find a list online that explains "OBD-I error codes honda" and you will find out what your problems are.

Do not forget to remove the wire from the 2-pin connector once you are done.

Here are the trouble codes:

0 Bad ecu (if cel is on and no code or light stays on)
1 O2A - Oxygen sensor #1
2 O2B - Oxygen sensor #2
3 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
4 CKP - crank position sensor
5 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
6 ECT - water temperature sensor
7 TPS - throttle position sensor
8 TDC - top dead centre sensor
9 CYP - cylinder sensor
10 IAT - intake air temperature sensor
12 EGR - exhaust gas recirculation lift valve
13 BARO - atmospheric pressure sensor
14 IAC (EACV) - idle air control valve
15 Ignition output signal
16 Fuel injectors
17 VSS - speed sensor
19 Automatic transmission lockup control valve
20 Electrical load detector
21 VTEC spool solenoid valve
22 VTEC pressure valve
23 Knock sensor
30 Automatic transmission A signal
31 Automatic transmission B signal
36 traction control found on JDM ecu's
41 Primary oxygen sensor heater
43 Fuel supply system
45 Fuel system too rich or lean
48 LAF - lean air fuel sensor
54 CKF - crank fluctuation sensor
58 TDC sensor #2
61 Primary oxygen sensor
63 Secondary oxygen sensor
65 Secondary oxygen sensor heater
71 random misfire cylinder 1
72 random misfire cylinder 2
73 random misfire cylinder 3
74 random misfire cylinder 4
80 Exhaust Gas Recirculation insufficient flow detected
86 ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature) circuit range / performance problem
90 Evaporative Emission Control System leak detected in the fuel tank area
91 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor low input
92 Evaporative Emission Control System

Coltsdog

5+ Year Member
"Did we just become best friends? YEP!"

lol, you guys are awesome. I'll get that info to my buddy and see if that helps him. He has a PDA (diagnostics computer) to check codes with also. If there's anything else that could be thrown in there, feel free to. Appreciate it =)

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
"Did we just become best friends? YEP!"

lol, you guys are awesome. I'll get that info to my buddy and see if that helps him. He has a PDA (diagnostics computer) to check codes with also. If there's anything else that could be thrown in there, feel free to. Appreciate it =)
the only way to pull codes from and obd-1 car is the way mentioned above. they didnt make any tools for diagnostics until obd-2.

also here is a better description of where the 2-pin plug is.

it's tucked up under the dash, sitting on the flat spot next to the glove box. (ignore the 3-pin plug)

Coltsdog

5+ Year Member
Awesome, I did not know that. My buddy may have but I didn't. I appreciate it

Coltsdog

5+ Year Member
Well, the good news is we don't think it's the ignition switch now. The fuel pump wasn't kicking in, and when my buddy was testing the wires for a signal, he was getting signal, but wasn't going to the pump. Soo, he called a family member, and told him it could be the relay on the drivers side. As soon as he started messing with it, the pump started to kick in, but still think the relay is bad. Sometime today he was going to a Pull A Part place to get one or two relays to see if that fixes it.

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The main relay is a pretty common problem...You can actually take it out and re-solder the contacts.. Over time they break down due to heat.