92 EG8 revitalized

dancam

Registered VIP
Sounds like what your planning to do is way over $1500 to me.
With the transmission- are you sure it isn't the pilot bearing? Those come with a clutch kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yup, priced rebuilt trans and was $500 to $700. Bearing kit (with new seals) around $150. SO, looks like rebuild is now the plan. And, my Dad has the tools (and better yet the experience) to hone the cylinders and gap/install the rings and pistons. So, assuming we can get the ball rolling soon looks like SHOULD be under budget

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, it's official. The car is no longer mine. I transferred the title to my son last week. And, we finally got all the parts gathered and began working on the car. Dad honed the cylinders 2 weeks ago, and as we were about to install the rings, found out I didn't have any. I bought the bearings, rinds, and gasket sets 3 years ago from the dealership, and never bothered to open the box for the rings. So, when I finally opened it, found they had sold me pistons, NOT rings. So, I have a brand new set of pistons and wrist pins that I have absolutely no use for. We had to order rings, and they finally arrived this past Friday afternoon (keep in mind that would give us exactly a week to rebuild the engine and transmission).

We replaced the brakes last week, and finally got to work pulling the engine Saturday. Long story short, we rebuilt the engine and transmission, got it installed, and FINALLY started it just last night. Needs some tuning, but it runs. Didn't want to start at first, but turns out the brand new plug wires my son purchased were made wrong. The boots at the distributor side wouldn't allow the terminal to plug in. So, after mixing some old wires with new, finally got enough spark for the car to start. Also, found that when he tightened the header, he snapped a stud. Not sure if enough will be exposed for us to get a pair of plyers on it. Right now though, don't care. The mini-me lives! Neither of us have rebuilt a motor, and I've only rebuilt a transmission once. So the fact that it runs at all is amazing to me. Didn't have a lot of time to document our progress, but here are some of the photos I DO have.

Below is the rear rotor and caliper, as installed by my son.

IMG_0716.JPG

and the front rotor and caliper, before and after
IMG_0717.JPG IMG_0718.JPG

the d16z6 head being cleaned...
IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0720.JPG

and here's the rest of it (rebuilding the head, transmission, and the install)

Attachments

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So, some of the mishaps we encountered:

*snapped head stud-yet to be fixed

*bad ignition wires-soon to be returned for refund

*2 broken wires (right behind the connector in both instances)-found replacement connectors on a spare wire harness, soldered them on

*lost spring pin for the shift linkage-found a spare in my parts box

*unable to pull old bearing from the transmission- Dad came through for the win. He happened to have a pilot bearing puller that was small enough to do the job (otherwise, we'd be looking at a $75 tool purchase at Harbor Freight)

*installed the valve seals BEFORE installing the spring seats-$35 mistake, since they're ruined when you take them off. We had to buy another set

Last edited:

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if we'd had more time, would have pressure washed that engine bay before reinstalling everything. But, time is a huge factor, and a clean bay is just a luxury we couldn't afford. The kid leaves in 3 days, so have to get some break-in driving and tuning done before then.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks. We got the idle in check and reset the timing. Had about 300 miles on the new engine before we changed the oil again. No leaks, no metal chunks in the oil. So, looks like we did good. He left yesterday, arrived at his base this afternoon. 900 miles and no issues. Up to him now to keep it running.