92 VX h/b -stalls while driving-HAS dash lights

wehrd1

Plug the connector into the fuel pump, unplug the main relay, and do the 1-7 and 5-7 jump tests to see if the pump runs.
i got nothing.

i will restate - the ohter day when i jumped 1-7 the connector threw a spark, BUT that was before we tested and got good readings on the 2P connector at the pump.

The dash lights are acting as they should.

RonJ

Banned
i got nothing.
Did you just now repeat the jump tests and neither test made the fuel pump run? If so, do this:

1. Jump 1-7 in the main relay connector.
  2. Unplug the fuel pump connector.
  3. Measure voltage between the 2 pins of the fuel pump connector. Is no voltage measured?
  4. If so, touch the red meter probe to the Yel/Grn wire terminal and the black meter probe to an unpainted metal area of the chassis. Do you now measure voltage?

wehrd1

The temp has dropped thru the floor - we'll get back with you on this most likely tomorrow night when we get home from work. i'll let you know the results...of the above testing

when we put the pump in tonight- i was hoping it would start, and now we've run into more...

discouraged does not begin to describe my attitude at this moment.

RonJ

Banned
Based on the results you posted, the tests pointed to the fuel pump. Since that time, your test results changed and now point to a different problem. If you want to solve the problem, then stick with the tests.

From this point forward, be sure to repeat your tests multiple times. In the meantime, prepare to return the fuel pump you purchased.

wehrd1

Based on the results you posted, the tests pointed to the fuel pump. Since that time, your test results changed and now point to a different problem. If you want to solve the problem, then stick with the tests.

From this point forward, be sure to repeat your tests multiple times. In the meantime, prepare to return the fuel pump you purchased.
oh I'm ready for the testing. i really want to get this solved.

i'm not going to return the pump, as the other one was all 'rotted' out on the top, and didn't run when we 'hot-wired' it to the battery. IF we can get this solved, i'm expecting this car to run another 100K mile (crossing fingers, wishful thinking?)

as soon as my husband gets home, we're going to do the tests you mentioned above, and get back to you tonight for the next steps.
Then we have a house-full tomorrow all day, into the evening...so i don't know if we'll get back to it. When i post the results of the above tests, the next time i'll be able to go to the next step will most likely be Sunday afternoon, after church.

I really really appreciate you walking me thru this Ron.

wehrd1

Did you just now repeat the jump tests and neither test made the fuel pump run? If so, do this:

1. Jump 1-7 in the main relay connector.
  2. Unplug the fuel pump connector.
  3. Measure voltage between the 2 pins of the fuel pump connector. Is no voltage measured?
  4. If so, touch the red meter probe to the Yel/Grn wire terminal and the black meter probe to an unpainted metal area of the chassis. Do you now measure voltage?
1- done
2- done
3 - no voltage
4 - no voltage

RonJ

Banned
Check whether 15A hood fuse 31 is blown by measuring voltage at both top tabs of fuse 31. Click the Fuses link in my signature.

Also jump 5-7 in the main relay connector, turn the key to ON(II), and repeat the two voltage tests at the fuel pump connector. Do you read battery voltage for both tests?

wehrd1

HOT DAMN!!!! it started

it was actually the 15A # 24 under dash fuse that blew. apparently when mounting the fuel pump, some wires ON the fuel pump got pinched. replaced fuse. took pump out - test jumped, pump ran - reinstalled , making sure NOTHING was pinched - and the CAR STARTED!!

AND THANK YOU RON for ALL YOUR HELP. HOPEFULLY, this was IT...and it won't die while driving any more =)

I'm so THANKFUL, and this is Thanksgiving week to boot.

I hope everyone enjoys their time with friends and family. I know I WILL now that we have this worked out

wehrd1

yep! got it figured out- stood on our head, he did it one handed, and bolted 'blind' while i held the light. geez - you really have to be a contortionist to get up under there =)