93 DX hatch parking brake does nothing

storycoolbro

So got this from my grandma cause it was just sitting upon their farm cause it had started over heating and grandpa didn't want to fix it, he was basically the neighborhood mechanic back inh is day plus they had other cars to drive, and so it sat there since 2009 and housed a colony of ants and a rat at some point found rat poop in the air filter box. I need to fix the head gasket maybe resurface the head not sure yet as the parking brake doesn't work. I've already checked the pads they look brand new, tried adjusting the lever made no difference, and the cables are intact and attached atleast to tires cant really see where they go up into the car to attach to the brake lever. You can pull that lever going 80 and the car doesn't even slow down. Anyone have a clue as to what the issue might be, would like to fix this before I do the head so i dont have to worry as much about he timing once i take the belt off.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It sounds like something is not connected, recheck everything. If there is no tension and not even trying to brake, something is not connected.
Inspect, reconnect, replace and or adjust as needed.

would like to fix this before I do the head so i dont have to worry as much about he timing once i take the belt off.
What does the park brake have to do with the timing and timing belt?

Attachments

storycoolbro

It sounds like something is not connected, recheck everything. If there is no tension and not even trying to brake, something is not connected.
Inspect, reconnect, replace and or adjust as needed.

What does the park brake have to do with the timing and timing belt?
The car moving as I'm working on it with only the gears holding it in place could possibly move as I'm lossening or tightening a bolt even if that's unlikely but since i'll most likely be working on my driveway the with the added slope dont want to chance it. Suppose I could use wheel chocks but would rather have a working parking brake in the long run.