94 Civic - #19 fuse blows when turning on parking/head lights

cloudybeaches

Whenever I turn my parking lights on, the #19 kick panel fuse blows. This renders my brake and rear running lights inoperative. If I do not turn the parking/head lights on, I can engage the brakes and the brake lights illuminate. The turn signals operate regardless of the fuse being blown.

The 20A "STOP, HORN" fuse under the hood will also blow, rendering my horn and brakes inoperative.

At first, I could replace the #19 fuse in the kick panel and I wouldn't have an issue w/ the dash/break lights, however that problem seems to have gotten progressively worse where now the #19 fuse will blow the instant my parking/head lights are activated.

The car has had an aftermarket system installed for a couple years, and these electrical issues began manifesting about 2 months ago, so I don't believe that is the issue. There is some damage to the rear-left light assembly, however I've closely examined the wires and did not find evidence of water buildup or anything else I suspected would cause any issue. I also replaced a side marker bulb on the rear-right assembly during troubleshooting steps because it was inoperative.

I have a multi-meter, test light, and other tools at my disposal, I just don't know where/how to use them.

I just want to note that I don't place much value to my troubleshooting skill compared to anybodies knowledge on here and will try anything.

I realize there are other threads with a similar subject, they were not very helpful with my issue.

cloudybeaches

I want to also note the stereo plays regardless of the aforementioned fuses being blown. My windshield wipers function, as well as the turn signals. I mention these last two to (possibly?) rule out a combination switch issue, however I am open to any solution.

daperez13

Respected
Since your stereo system was installed years ago and the electrical problems occurred just a few month ago, this may not be relevant. But I've come across a very similar issue, where the stereo was installed months before the electrical issues surfaced. The problem was that the orange (dimmer) wire on the stereo was connected to the wrong wire on the car's harness and it caused all sorts of weird and intermittent problems. Check it just to make sure that's not the problem and rule that out.

cloudybeaches

I'll give that a go tomorrow when it's brighter outside. Anything else I can add to the list for now that is fairly simple to check?

daperez13

Respected
You may have to troubleshoot more in-depth with this issue, unfortunately, this is not my strong suit. Sorry I can't give you more advise or point you in the right direction. Tracing wires may be next on the list. I hope someone else chimes in.

Restotech

Respected
I would unplug both taillight assemblies and then turn on the lights and see if it blows. If it does then its in the veh or the fronts. If not its in the taillight assemblies.

cloudybeaches

I would unplug both taillight assemblies and then turn on the lights and see if it blows. If it does then its in the veh or the fronts. If not its in the taillight assemblies.
I've tried that, the effect is the same.

I've not considered looking at the front marker lights, is that something I should also investigate before delving deeper?

cloudybeaches

Check the items on the no.19 fuse circuit.
The 80A & 40A under the hood fuses are intact. How do I test the combination light switch? It appears to function when I attempt to activate parking/head lights/turn signals.

I also inspected the front marker lights, no issues discovered.

cloudybeaches

How do I trigger the event which blows the fuse if I can't engage the parking lights w/ the combination light switch disconnected?

cloudybeaches

I disconnected the dimmer switch, replaced the blown #19 fuse, and the parking lights worked without issue. I than replaced the #20 under-the-hood blown fuse, the brake lights & horn again functioned. I tried a number of different combinations of the car being on, head lights on, parking lights on, brake light engaging, and couldn't blow either of the fuses.

I reconnected the dimmer switch, and still could not reproduce the issue.

While the problem seems to be fixed, I'd like to know what else I can check to ensure it isn't that thing, or should I let it be?

Restotech

Respected
Could be the dimmer switch or wiring attached to it. Have you checked the stereo illumination wire to make sure its not shorting out against metal behind the dash.