95 EX owner needs help

bolt

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey everybody wassup.......im a proud owner of a bad ass 95 civic EX. Its Quick...kinda but it lacks power. Now i know what you are thinking......throw away that crappy SOCH motor and swap it with a DOCH monster, but unfortinately i do not have the time or more importiantly the money to purchace a motor and install it. :cry: Now im familiar with most of the bolt on's but i need help deciding which to get and any trade secrets on how to pull more HP out of the motor.

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do the normal bolt ons, then move to more agressive mods, like a Racing Cam, Maybe a head job. or you can always throw a turbo on.

DLS TekNiQue

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i have a fast SOHC. (by the way its SOHC and DOHC, not SOCH or DOCH :wink: )

there are many bolt ons you can do, but if you really wanna get the SOHC's true potential out, do what i did. First, port and polish your head. then port your intake manifold and throttle body. then put a cam in, get an ecu, a 4-1 header, a 2.5" catback exhaust, and a cold air intake.

If you get all that port and polishing done by a good company (i got it done by bullfrog) then you will be smokin DOHC's left and right. i can already keep up with an Si, and i havent even put my cam or header or cold air intake on yet. (Si has a DOHC B16) by the way i have a dx, which is 102 hp stock. right now im prolly pushin in the area of 150-160 hp. Once i get my cam and header on, ill get my car dynoed, and that way we can all see the potential of a SOHC.

anyways good luck modin your car, let me know if you ever need any help with anything

civicchic95

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I need help too, I am lost aswell.

Don't feel bad, I own a Black 95 Civic Ex too, shes good, but I want to make mine faster too. So I have talked to some people and the word is for our babies, is that we need a Cold Air Intake System. But I am skeptical about that. So if anyone can help us it would be great.
-- April civivchic95 :?

jdmism

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Whassup?
I'm new to this site....
I've been in the game about 10yrs now....
lost my passion in 97 due to divorce, but up and runnin again!!
peep it at www.1320teknology.com
holla if i can help u guys (& gals) out!!

alohas, shannon
jdmism@yahoo.com 928.246.3660

Violator

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Save your money for a swap, you'll be much happier. Trust me on that one. You could turbocharge and build your D16 for pretty cheap but you'll always have trouble with turbo DOHC...why not even just get an LS swap B18B under the hood? With the money your gonna put towards bolt ons it may add up to a total engine swap price.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In my opinion the D16 isn't worth it....right now I am being a suspention whore and changing out my whole suspention...but a motor swap will come in time. I am a supporter of the Non-VTEC movement. Part of this reason is that I am into auto-cross...and there is no real point to have VTEC in an Auto X car. B18b and B20's are your friend....they are the only really torque producing motor in the B series. I am going with a B18b with a turbo...the turbo will be of no use on the track cept for straight aways....but it will help me out on the street and drag strip....that and blow off valves are SEXY!

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the d16z6 in our cars actually makes a pretty good turbo motor. since you spent the extra money to get the vtec motor and all the extra special power features, you might as well keep the motor you've got if its in good condition. while not as good as a b series, a z6 can put down 210-220 whp on stock internals (figure 12-13 psi) if its tuned correctly. thats far more than any swap can get you, and that figure should have you into the 13's, depending on your driving. and a good setup, like a drag kit, should cost about the same, if not less than a full swap. bolt ons are not worth it on a d series unless you do the head work like dls's car, and try to make it good all motor. but all motor will never be as fast as a turbo on the same budget.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
D16Y8's can't handle 12 pounds of boost....at most 6.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its all about tuning man. if you tune it correctly, a z6 or y8 can handle 12psi. probably isnt the best for the motor, but its doable.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
"with proper tuning" thats the key word, I am talking about a stock Y8 or a stock Z6

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
proper tuning does not mean building. it means getting a hondata, putting it on a dyno, and go to work. get the correct fuel map, ignition timing, etc. if you put the time into it, you can run some pretty high boost numbers on stock internals.