'95 EX Power Locks

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe:

I searched the forums, but didn't quite find a thread with my particular problems. I have an aftermarket keyless entry and alarm. I first noticed that my car was no longer locking the doors once the ignition was turned on and started, but thought nothing of it. The key-fob still locked and unlocked the doors, then the locking function stopped working. At first I could manually use the switch to lock the doors and unlock the doors. Then the switch wouldn't lock the doors, but I could still unlock them with the switch. Now the switch neither locks nor unlocks the doors, it doesn't even sound like the locks are getting power to try and do anything. I've checked the fuses and they're good. So my question is what else might it be? Is there a relay for the power locks and if so where is it located? Any help would be GREAT!

-Xero

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Some alarm systems have it as a safety feature to prevent you from locking your keys in your car.

If you really want, you can bypass that feature by running power directly from the ignition switch to the door lock switch.

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
Some alarm systems have it as a safety feature to prevent you from locking your keys in your car.

If you really want, you can bypass that feature by running power directly from the ignition switch to the door lock switch.
My key-fob, alarm and power locks have worked perfectly fine for the last 2 years, plus in order to activate a feature out of the blue like you're suggesting a button combination would be required AFTER entering the key-fob into it's programming mode. I'd just like to know what else there is to check besides the fuses under the dash, like a relay or control device.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
My key-fob, alarm and power locks have worked perfectly fine for the last 2 years, plus in order to activate a feature out of the blue like you're suggesting a button combination would be required AFTER entering the key-fob into it's programming mode. I'd just like to know what else there is to check besides the fuses under the dash, like a relay or control device.
Oh, I thought you started having the issue after an alarm install.

I don't see a relay, probably the switch itself.

Diagram:

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
yeah, i was going to also say that it sounds like the switch went bad. It can happen with some alarm systems because they put out to much power to the switch or they double pulse it, I have heard its not to tough to replace.

When you get it working again, i would use a volt meter to check how much voltage is being sent when you hit the unlock/lock switch on the car, and then how much the alarm is sending out when you press unlock/lock on the key fob.

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
Ok here's an update. It's been raining here so I haven't bothered with the windows, but they won't work either. So I ended up taking my door panel off and checking all the wiring connections and everything was snug. I uplugged them all and checked them and then plugged everything back together. Everything started working again, even the key-fob... until I closed the door. Turns out that for some reason when the door is fully adjar the power locks and power windows work properly, but as soon as you close it, even half way, they stop working, HOWEVER as soon as you open the door to fully adjar they work again. I checked the wiring but everything looks tight and snug for both companates, is there something I missing? Everything worked great for the last 2 years until a couple weeks ago.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Obviously moving the door flexes a wire and breaks the continuity of it.

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
Obviously moving the door flexes a wire and breaks the continuity of it.
That's kind of what I was thinking, I'm guessing the most likely spot is the rubber booty between the door and frame right? I've never taken that apart. Any idea what I'm looking for and any idea why it would just randomly occur?

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
That's kind of what I was thinking, I'm guessing the most likely spot is the rubber booty between the door and frame right? I've never taken that apart. Any idea what I'm looking for and any idea why it would just randomly occur?
You can only flex the wire so many times before it starts to break and lose contact. The ground wire(black) going bad would probably make the most sense(refer to diagram in my earlier post).

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
You can only flex the wire so many times before it starts to break and lose contact. The ground wire(black) going bad would probably make the most sense(refer to diagram in my earlier post).
So there's 5 wires that pass from the dash to the door? What exactly am I looking for? Wires with their coating rubbed off? Also, how do I get into the ribbed rubber booty? Do I have to cut into it?

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Check to make sure the wires aren't loose on their connectors to the switch and the power door lock control unit, follow the black wire from power door lock control unit to where it grounds off and make sure that there's no physical damage.

Also check make sure it's not corroded and has a good connection where it grounds.