96-00 greddy turbo for ex's

RainyDaze

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I asked Greddy the other day if their 92-95 turbo kit would work on my 99 ex and this was part of the reply I got. Not sure if anyone else has heard anything about this but figured I would share this.

"Thanks for your interest in GReddy Products.
We are working on a street legal turbo kit for the 96-2000 Civic EXs, but
currently we do not have any specifics or an expected release date yet."

I can't wait to hear more on this. :D
Let me know what all your thoughts are on this...

(If this info has been posted before you can delete this message)

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i thought the older ones had smaller manifolds?

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the D16Z6 and the D16Y8 are pretty similar from what I have seen...but who knows...I wouldn't chance it with 1800 bucks man. I would just swap that motor to a b series...and smoke some turbo D series!

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no, no..... a factory b-series will be eaten by a turbo d-series....... the manifolds are the same size across all d-series motors, but you may or may not need to modify one of the mounting holes to make it fit......... i would assume it's just like the b-series...... b16? b18? doesn't matter.... the manifold will fit just fine.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stick a similar turbo on any b series and it will own the d series. Bottom line is that you can get ALOT more out of a B series over a D series. B18a/b motors are very affordable and also have ALOT of potenial. While they arn't VTEC, they make more torque, have a better transmission, lower compression ratio, and are very cheap. My D16Y8 will come out as soon as I finish my suspention.

weaponrc

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I WAS CONSIDERING DOING A TURBO ON MY D16 AND GOING WITH THE GREDDY KIT. I HAVE FOUND THAT THE TURBO KIT WILL BOLT UP SAME AS ON A 92-95 CIVICS. ONLY THING U WILL HAVE PROBLEMS WITH IS WIRING THE FCU (FUEL CONTROL UNIT). THE WIRING IS NOT THE SAME AS ON THE 92-95 CIVICS. I HAVE FOUND A SITE THAT IS VERY RESOURCEFUL WHEN DOING A D-SERIES TURBO KIT. WWW.TURBOCIVIC.NET. HOPE THAT WORKS FOR YA.

turboferio

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok i have a 99 civic ex with a 92-95 greddy kit... everything is the same.. the only thing diff is the charge pipe that connects to intake manifold is shorter. u just have to get it lengthend a lil bit and ur done here is a pic

turboferio

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hope that helps pm me if u have any questions.... and oh yeah don't let people tell u its pointless turbocharging a sohc motor... mine hits 12.4's all day long. with block work of course

turboferio

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99 ex coupe i dont' know y u are so hung up on the b series they are good motors but singles are just as good. i stuck with my motor built it and turboed it for about the same amount a swap would cost me.... and i run 12.4's find me a stock b series that can do that. for about 2500 bucks or 3000 depending on how much a b series is... u can make a d series fast as f**k... i know

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by turboferio
and oh yeah don't let people tell u its pointless turbocharging a sohc motor...
that is true (and yours is nice as ALL HELL too man)

but in the end, your still missing a cam!!! :hitlol:

JDM James

Ominous
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by SeanJohn1802
that is true (and yours is nice as ALL HELL too man)

but in the end, your still missing a cam!!! :hitlol:
:moon: not for long

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Turbo Ferio's turbi D16 looks very promising....what exactly is done to the motor/tranny?

turboferio

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the block has 9.3:1 arias custom turbo pistons bored .20 over, shot peened ls rods, balanced crank, zex chrome-oly flywheel, act stage 3 w/heavy duty pressure plate, the head has ferrea valves and dual valve springs, crower stage 1 cam, and aem cam gear. rc 330cc fuel injectors, fpr, holley fuel pump. and 15 psi. the sohc motor will remain in my car 4 ever.

turboferio

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ominous does it matter if i missin a cam.... no replacement for displacement i know but, its how much money u can put into ur car and how u do it. this build up took me 4 years and all i'm saying is b series are really expensive... and i haven't seen to many that can hang

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ominous does it matter if i missin a cam.... no replacement for displacement i know but, its how much money u can put into ur car and how u do it. this build up took me 4 years and all i'm saying is b series are really expensive... and i haven't seen to many that can hang
maybe if eveyrone with b-series spent 4years building it up, they'd hang.. you gotta remember, you spent 4years puttin in work into that d-series... so that in itself is pretty key

how much you boosting anyway?

EDIT: nevermind, your boosting 15psi.... what if i was boosting 15psi in my engine what do you think i'd run??? hang or beat or slower??? lol

JDM James

Ominous
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by SeanJohn1802
what if i was boosting 15psi in my engine what do you think i'd run??? hang or beat or slower??? lol
:drive: what would you run?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the block has 9.3:1 arias custom turbo pistons bored .20 over, shot peened ls rods, balanced crank, zex chrome-oly flywheel, act stage 3 w/heavy duty pressure plate, the head has ferrea valves and dual valve springs, crower stage 1 cam, and aem cam gear. rc 330cc fuel injectors, fpr, holley fuel pump. and 15 psi. the sohc motor will remain in my car 4 ever.
all that work to the bottom end plus the turbo kit did not cost 2500-3 grand like a b series swap does. for the cost of all that stuff, you could have a b18c or b16 with a good turbo kit. on the stock bottom end, you can run about 8-9 psi with really good tuning, which is gonna net you about 300-320 whp. i have dyno charts if you want. has your engine ever been dynoed? also what type of fuel management are you using? and unless your making over 300 whp with that setup, which i can almost guarantee your not (not an insult to you, but from my experience) , a bseries swap plus turbo at 8 psi will outrun yours at 15. and seanjohn, if you were running 15 psi and could put that power to the ground, you would eat the d for lunch.

turboferio

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey i know how much i spent to build the motor... the used turbo cost me 800 bucks... and the parts and the motor work where like 1600 thats 2400 bucks. and i'm not saying anything about me building for 4 years i'm just sayin i stuck with a d series because they are cheaper to build. if i break something i can just go buy another motor for like 200 bucks. b series motors are pricey and if i had one i probably would be broke hooking it up.