96 civic crankshaft postion sensor

95Civic Dx

Registered VIP
Hi I just bought a 96 civic with a d16y7 in it and the original motor is the y8 the check engine light is on and it is throwing two codes one because vtec using hooked up and the other is for p1337 witch is for the crank position sensor so dose not that mean it is bad? If so can someone show me where our is located.

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
CPS is in the distributor

Cobl18

Registered VIP
you have to buy a new distributor, its an easy job but a pain because you have to pay 200 plus dollars for a new dizzy just because a 20 dollar sensor went out. I had to do this TWICE. do you know how to replace the dizzy properly? BTW if you get one with a lifetime warranty you wont ever have to buy a new one if it breaks again =)

95Civic Dx

Registered VIP
thanks and i can change a dizzy i think im just going to pick one up from the jy untill i can get the money for a new one.

95Civic Dx

Registered VIP
Well online they are around 120 alot better than what autozone wants but I can't belive you can't bust change the sensor

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well online they are around 120 alot better than what autozone wants but I can't belive you can't bust change the sensor
you said code was P1337, correct? i took your word for it being the crankshaft position sensor (should have checked it out) when i said it was in the distributor - actually code P1337 is for the crankshaft speed fluctuation (CKF) sensor and not the crankshaft position sensor - the crankshaft speed fluctuation sensor is located behind the crank pulley on the driver's end of the engine

95Civic Dx

Registered VIP
Thank you that was a mess up on my part but im really glad you caught my mistake before i bought a new dizzy

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no problem - something in the back of my mind was telling me P1337 wasn't the cylinder position sensor, so i looked it up - hard to keep all of the codes straight