96 CX - 20 year old build

Pete96cxEK

Hi All,

So I started this project about 20 years ago, almost finished it and life happened. Fast forward to today and I'm getting it done.

The car started as a `96 CX, it has the following mods

99-00 Front End
99-00 Rear lights
99-00 Front and Rear Lips
99-00 B16A
99-00 Power Windows, Locks, Mirrors
99-00 Door Panels
Type R 5 Lug Conversion
White paint with House of Kolor light orange pearl.
Header
Intake
Exhaust
AEM Fuel Rail + Regulator
SI cluster
Armrest from SI?
Type R knob
Type R shift boot. It has red stitching, I'm pretty sure it was Type R

Items still needed are
Rims + tires
I would like to get some nice front seats
I had a black Civic Type R rear back seat but the bottom got ruined, I still have the back pieces. If anyone knows where I could get the bottom that would be awesome.

Since it sat for so long I am changing the fuel tank, pump, and filter. That is the first job I'm going to tackle. It ran fine 5 years ago so I'm hoping after the fuel system change it runs.

After that I need to see what other systems need repair, once the car is running and driving I need to put the interior back together.

I swapped the heater\ac system so it would work with the 99-00 electronic controls, I wanted the 99-00 center bezel. Back then I had a custom one made with a 7" screen but that is long gone now. Need to get one if anyone has one for sale.

I will probably need some help\advice along the way, hoping you guys have some answers, lol.

One thing I want to change are the struts, they are really old. I have Nu-Speed race springs on there now. Thinking of keeping them with either Koni Yellows or KYB AGX.
Any opinions on that would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Nice work, keep the updates coming!

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Springs dont tend to go bad. Shocks on the other hand, go bad depending on abuse. Depending on the suspension you have, you may be able to get them revalved. However Koni's are fairly inexpensive so just replacing them may be cheaper.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You can also get the service manual off my website if you need it.

Pete96cxEK

Thanks for the reply nd4sped

Brake and suspension clean up time.

Going to paint the calipers and springs I think. Painted the wheel well black with Por-15, it's gloss so I might cover it with some flat black.

Painting the folk and other parts flat black, going to remove the rust and spray them.

Going to rebuild the calipers as they are stock Type-R.

Going to order new struts, Koni's or KYB AGX's?

Fuel pump is coming tomorrow so hopefully Tuesday when I can work on it she will be running!

Attachments

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Good call on rebuilding your TypeR calipers. OE ones are getting impossible to find. However if you hit up IRUNOEM on Instagram, you can possible get those parts. IRUNOEM has a huge stock of hard to get Honda parts.

Interested to see how painting the springs goes after some miles. Usually they are powder coated.

Pete96cxEK

Yeah, thought about the calipers and figured they would be better than the rockauto stuff although I might be getter the rebuild stuff from there
My buddy is a car painter, I 'm hoping he can do something with them.
Thanks for the Instagram link

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Keep up updated!

Pete96cxEK

Calipers and front forks cleaned up.

Need to paint and rebuilt calipers still and paint forks but much better than before.

nd4sped, I have the Type R 5 lug swap, I still need 96-00 Civic EK struts right?
https://www.hptautosport.com/products/koni-yellow-sport-shocks-set-96-00-honda-civic-ek-1
Does that seem like a good price to you? Best I have seen.

And the Koni's will work with my nu-speed race springs, correct? As in the springs aren't too low?
Sorry, one more question - Which strut mounts would you go with?

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
The springs should work with any of them. Just measure the overall length and check the sizing against Koni's website for recommended spring sizes. I have seen guys run Nuspeed and Ground Control springs on Koni's for autox. I imagine you should be just fine. But do your homework.

Pete96cxEK

So, I'm still working on it,.

Changed the gas tank, fuel pump, filter and cleaned lines and injectors and she fired right up!

Calipers, valve cover and some other parts are going to get powder coated.

Cleaning and painting various parts black.

Rebuilding the shift linkage

Question, I got a set of the Koni Yellows, do I need the bump stops? The stock ones don't fit over the wielded spot at the top of the piston arm.

Thanks,

Will get more pics of everything soon

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Great update and photos or it never happened.!