96romaCX back with a 92 LX sedan XD

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What's up guys, Im back lol. I snagged a 92 civic LX for 600$ for a new daily/project car. It's in surprisingly good shape for its age and price. 100% stock too, unmolested. I will post pics in a little while when I have more time just excited to have a Honda again!! This will be a slower build as I have other responsibilities and a new born son now, but I will be addressing any mechanical issues first, then finishing the body work for a fresh paint job. The color is phantom grey pearl. I bought it from a dude who picked it up and had it for a couple months and never tagged it. He began the sanding process on the body without addressing the dents and got as far as plastic dipping the hood and front bumper black before giving up and selling it, that's when I found it for sale on Facebook in a Honda page, and scooped it up really quick. As I mentioned earlier, I will be posting pics up when I get time, haven't done much at all since it's mechanically pretty great I just tagged it the following Monday (bought saturday) and started driving it to work. More to come soon, including interior deep cleaning, enginbay cleaning/detail, finishing the prep for paint, tune up, etc. I'm just really excited and can't wait to see where this build goes. I'm glad to be back Club Civic!

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh I found one pic of it, I took it Monday when I got it tagged and drove it to work the first time lol, she's a little rough but I see the potential 22597.jpeg

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Can't really beat that for $600! A fresh paint job and you'll have yourself a nice DD!

Any plans?

PS, :welcome: back! :lol:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks man! Well I listed my plans above it the huge term paper of an introduction lol, but right now just fix all the little things and get a fresh repay on the outside, the factory phantom grey pearl. Once it's 100% I'll grab some type 1 F&F, some rota track R white and polished lip wheels, and ebay rlcas and subframe brace. It's just going to be a daily/gas saver. However, when this engine let's go I will swap in a b16. I've always wanted one and sold my hatch before I could get it swapped

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OH yeah! PS rack is leaking, and it feels like I'm steering a boat compared to my GT86, so I'm looking into getting an integral PS rack. From what I've read it should be plug and play, can anyone offer any input to this?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Can't help with the PS rack, but sounds like you have a solid plan for this! Grey with white wheels will look great. :thumbs up

Looking forward to seeing this thing progress for sure.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thank you man, I'm freaking excited to just have something to tinker on again haha!

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just realized this thread was suppose to be in the build thread section, so if an administrator could move it please I would appreciate it.

No update, update. . Found the link finally to confirm what all is needed to place a manual rack into a PS subframe on 92-95 civic. If I have time this weekend I'll start working on cleaning the car up while I save for a new manual rack.

http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/diy-93-si-power-manual-steering-rack-conversion-pics-2861559/

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Can't help with the PS rack, but sounds like you have a solid plan for this! Grey with white wheels will look great. :thumbs up

Looking forward to seeing this thing progress for sure.
Do you care to move this to the build threads instead of the general 92-95 section? Thank you in advanced.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Just realized this thread was suppose to be in the build thread section, so if an administrator could move it please I would appreciate it.

No update, update. . Found the link finally to confirm what all is needed to place a manual rack into a PS subframe on 92-95 civic. If I have time this weekend I'll start working on cleaning the car up while I save for a new manual rack.

http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/diy-93-si-power-manual-steering-rack-conversion-pics-2861559/
If you're looking for something that is quicker lock to lock then a manual rack is not the way to go. They're actually longer than the power racks. An integra rack as you mentioned earlier would be a better choice imo. I have one looped on my hatch and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you're looking for something that is quicker lock to lock then a manual rack is not the way to go. They're actually longer than the power racks. An integra rack as you mentioned earlier would be a better choice imo. I have one looped on my hatch and love it

That's awesome, is the universal joint on the eg steering column the same, or do I need an integra u joint?

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
You will need an integra u joint. The splines on eg racks are smaller than the Integra's. The splines on the column are the same. As far as I know the rack should bolt right up to your subframe given the fact that you have a power rack already. I'm pretty sure the subframes differ slightly between power and manual eg's from what I've read. I can't confirm that first hand as I pulled everything together from an integra

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Also while I was on my 4 year hiatus from FWD, I fell in love with RWD and slideways, here's some pics of my spicy girl Fiona out killing tires 14289955_1826134117618379_2021800322231799323_o.jpg 10575380_1742344705997321_8350916840736061839_o.jpg 16178752_1890009287897528_365073442881943381_o.jpg 12819463_1741665239398601_8915334126711279550_o.jpg

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You will need an integra u joint. The splines on eg racks are smaller than the Integra's. The splines on the column are the same. As far as I know the rack should bolt right up to your subframe given the fact that you have a power rack already. I'm pretty sure the subframes differ slightly between power and manual eg's from what I've read. I can't confirm that first hand as I pulled everything together from an integra

You are correct, they do differ. And the mounting C bracket is sized differently also. So does your integrated rack steer any more difficult than a regular manual?

BusterEGHatch

Respected
I actually prefer my manual rack to power steering. I prefer the raw feeling of the road and can tell what's going on down below.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I actually prefer my manual rack to power steering. I prefer the raw feeling of the road and can tell what's going on down below.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yeah that's what I'm aiming for, in my 86 the rack is electronic, but I can feel EVERYTHING going on with front tires, it's soo responsive and almost telepathic when driving. I had a blast driving the civic around but the stewring slop is like... ew. Haha

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
You are correct, they do differ. And the mounting C bracket is sized differently also. So does your integrated rack steer any more difficult than a regular manual?
Yeah slightly at a standstill but while moving it feels great. Very responsive in comparison. I went from a leaking power rack to a manual rack to a looped integra rack in my ek this past summer. I wasn't happy with the lack of response when I switched to the manual rack because of the 4 turn lock to lock ratio but road feel was improved. Going back and forth between driving my integra and my civic it made driving the civic feel like I was driving a bus. Luckily A friend of mine was parting out an integra so he let me drop the subframe, rack, control arms, and sway bar all as one piece before he took the shell to the scrap yard. I am not a fan of power steering at all. It numbs road feel too much imo

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah slightly at a standstill but while moving it feels great. Very responsive in comparison. I went from a leaking power rack to a manual rack to a looped integra rack in my ek this past summer. I wasn't happy with the lack of response when I switched to the manual rack because of the 4 turn lock to lock ratio but road feel was improved. Going back and forth between driving my integra and my civic it made driving the civic feel like I was driving a bus. Luckily A friend of mine was parting out an integra so he let me drop the subframe, rack, control arms, and sway bar all as one piece before he took the shell to the scrap yard. I am not a fan of power steering at all. It numbs road feel too much imo

That's a bad as score on that. Im the same way as far as steering feel, I need to improve my turd as best as possible, I'm spoiled when I drive my 86 haha. Thank you so much for all that info, I really appreciate it. :thumbsup