97 Civic EX Reverse Issues

michael.anthony

Hi all, i own a 97 civic ex with a d16y8 engine and automatic tranny. Over the course of more than a year I've been experiencing some issues.

First off: one day my reverse gear refused to engage, it would as if it were in neutral.

Desperate to fix it I carried it out to a clear space and put it in neutral and revved it to about 6000 rpm and after a bit It slammef into gear and worked from there.

Eventually it started coming and going, I noticed that the car would refuse to gear up when cold and I would hear a slight grating sound when the car warms and gears up from 2nd to 3rd and it usually signified that the reverse gear would not engage. However it would work again after some time passed.

I decided to change fluid and add a treatment (Shudderguard), I then ran all the gears out manually (hit 4500rpm in each gear before shifting) and it has been working since, for a bit less than a year.

Despite that I cannot use 4th gear because It started making a noise when I come off of the accelerator and somehow seems to cause the reverse trouble to happen again. My gears hard shift very often and I even hear the sleigh grating noise every now and then but the reverse has not stopped working as a result of it.

Important note: the times the reverse did not work I would sometimes hear a grinding noise gradually get louder until the reverse gear would slam in and work fine from there.

Can this be repaired? Can I trust anyone to do such repairs?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sounds like the transmission needs a rebuild, or replacement. Slamming it into reverse while revving it up so high, I'm surprised it didn't completely break right there.