97 Civic GLI - What to Look for When Buying

Ogthebuilder

Here's the deal. This is my second car and I really wanted a Honda Civic. I have been looking around for quite sometime but finally I found a person willing to sell me a 1997 GLI Civic for 2.5k AUD. It has 187000 Km (111000 miles) and apparently service books/logs etc.

The body seems like it's in good condition and he interior as well. Was wondering what I should look out for and if this is a good deal or not? It comes with 12 months registration as well so don't need to worry about that. Any help would be greatly appreciated and is that too many kms?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would look for signs of abuse or prior accidents, but most importantly, ask a lot of questions. Ask about maintenance, they have the books/logs so it should be easy. If it's a manual, find out if/when the clutch was changed. Ask about timing belt and water pump, too.

Not sure if you get rusty cars over there, but check underneath the car for rust and rot.. these cars are very bad with it, especially if it's been in winter elements for a long time.

Other than that, just make sure the car is up on its basic maintenance. Ask to take it for a test drive. Drive though all the gears, make sure the brakes are good, and that you don't hear any funny noises when driving.

111k miles for a Civic is nothing! Especially for a 97. That motor is still young as long as the previous owner(s) maintained it well.

Ogthebuilder

Thanks for the reply

If it's a manual, find out if/when the clutch was changed.
It is a manual and I will definitely be asking!

Not sure if you get rusty cars over there, but check underneath the car for rust and rot
If there is rust, is that an immediate no-buy? Or is it something I should use as a negotiating tactic.

make sure the brakes are good
Breaks were apparently changed recently.

that you don't hear any funny noises when driving.
Anything in particular?

111k miles for a Civic is nothing! Especially for a 97. That motor is still young as long as the previous owner(s) maintained it well.
That's good to hear, I am excited to go take a look at it.

To add a little more detail to my OP, the car is completely stock and was owned by a lady (could be a positive or negative). Will keep this thread updated with how the inspection went and the sale. Cheers.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for the reply

It is a manual and I will definitely be asking!

If there is rust, is that an immediate no-buy? Or is it something I should use as a negotiating tactic.

Breaks were apparently changed recently.

Anything in particular?

That's good to hear, I am excited to go take a look at it.

To add a little more detail to my OP, the car is completely stock and was owned by a lady (could be a positive or negative). Will keep this thread updated with how the inspection went and the sale. Cheers.
Yeah, definitely find out about the clutch, because it will cost you a couple hundred to a grand depending on if you do the work yourself or bring it to a mechanic.

Rust isn't an immediate no buy, but I would thoroughly inspect it. Surface rust, some rust parts underneath isn't too bad, and it's stuff you can probably take care of. But if you see rot, especially around the quarter panels... ruuuuuuuun! That s**t is like a disease and will slowly take over the rest of the car. :lol: Rust is literally what killed my Civic...

No special noises in particular to look for, just something that sounds irregular. Any odd sounding knocks or ticking noises, odd clunks or clicks when turning the wheels, etc.

Lady owned is probably a great thing! It's hard to find (at least around here) a not-abused-by-a-17-year-old-kid Civic