97 dx d16y7 swap

NeonSmokeRings

that must be because the auto is only a four speed cause on a lot of newer car reviews the auto is quicker than the stick because there is no human error

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that must be because the auto is only a four speed cause on a lot of newer car reviews the auto is quicker than the stick because there is no human error
New car reviews of cars with DSG "automated manuals". Paddle shifting dual clutch automatics grab the next gear before letting go of the other as I understand, which is a relatively new development in road cars and makes for virtually no gap in shifts. VW has one in the GTI I think. Traditional automatics have a gap in between gear changes, plus they sap about 30% of the engines power versus 15% for an manual. Car and Driver just did a comparison with six cars, the Kia Rio had a 6 speed auto and the Hyundai had a 6 speed manual. They're essentially identical cars with different cosmetic treatments. The Kia was 1.5 seconds slower to 60mph.

NeonSmokeRings

Im new to civic's and manual trasmissions how are they to drive I learned on a 2000 ford ranger and didnt care for it but I drove my friends manual jetta and it was a lot easier to sift and felt more fluid and idiot prof lol

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
I say get the ex manual tranny and I am building a d16y7/8 mini me with vitara if you want to check it out. Their are plenty of turbo kits to buy for the y7 you should atleast upgrade all the fuel system. My civic I have now is first car I learned how to drive stick with. It's alot easier shifting than some other cars I have driven.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im new to civic's and manual trasmissions how are they to drive I learned on a 2000 ford ranger and didnt care for it but I drove my friends manual jetta and it was a lot easier to sift and felt more fluid and idiot prof lol
Honda manual trannys are a little better than Fords of that era lol

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Yeah im taking the slow route when it comes to building a car. I just got the car OEM and running good and now im working on interior. its so ugly haha. then im doing the transmission swap this summer then suspension then ill work on upgrading the engine. Im making a build thread here pretty soon, this cars going from barely running to super fast.

NeonSmokeRings

Yeah im taking the slow route when it comes to building a car. I just got the car OEM and running good and now im working on interior. its so ugly haha. then im doing the transmission swap this summer then suspension then ill work on upgrading the engine. Im making a build thread here pretty soon, this cars going from barely running to super fast.
Nice keep me posted I would really like to see the build

Cobl18

Registered VIP
I'll send you the link here in a few days when I have time to just sit down and make a thread

Cobl18

Registered VIP
hey buddy i just posted my build thread its under Cobl18's 1998 civic ex slow build

Cobl18

Registered VIP
at the very least you should upgrade your fuel system so you can get enough fuel into your cylinders to match the amount of air that's being pushed into there, and then there's the all important tune. Without a tune you shouldn't drive it because i guarantee you will blow your engine in no time, even if you don't get on it. On a stock engine with an upgraded fuel system and a proper tune i wouldn't run over 8 PSI. If you upgrade the valve train (spelling) and some stronger pistons and a good transmission you can really push out some power without having to worry about it blowing up in your face. BTW if you have an automatic transmission the power from the turbo that the engine gains will pretty much F your transmisson, you can kinda delay this by getting a really good transmission cooler but your only buying time, so do a transmission swap.

civic98ek

Registered VIP
i would deff do a 5spd swap and a d series is a reliable engine but boost is a little hard on it so a good rebuild would be a good idea.. bigger injectors etc.. look into it. it all depends on how much power your planning to make. and agreed more than 8 psi is too much youd do pretty good with about 6psi