97 dx d16y7 swap

NeonSmokeRings

Hey I know there is probably tons of threads like this but I'm new to forums and to Honda's so I just wanted to make this thread to get some well valued responses from people that really know what they are talking about when it comes to civics. so like the title says I have a 97 dx hatchback with the d16y7 motor, I'm a college student and I work full time so I dont have a lot of money and I cant have my car down for too long what is the best option of getting power out of my car and if you have a suggestion leave a list of parts, how to do it, and expected power gain. thanks for your help I really appreciate it

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To tell you the truth, with little to no budget, any simple add on's will not give you anything. You'd be wasting money on an intake system, exhaust system, or a header. You certainly can get said items since it's what most people starting off gets first but you'd be making noise or trying to make your bay just look a bit nicer. For that motor true power comes from a nice turbo set up but those can be pricey.

NeonSmokeRings

so Its possible to turbo a d16y7 engine and keep my auto trans I can drive stick but I live in a downtown and I prefer to have my auto trans in the traffic. and could I do a sohc vtec swap for cheap, when I mean cheap i mean less than 2K?

Dnguyen92

so Its possible to turbo a d16y7 engine and keep my auto trans I can drive stick but I live in a downtown and I prefer to have my auto trans in the traffic. and could I do a sohc vtec swap for cheap, when I mean cheap i mean less than 2K?
Waay cheaper than that. D series motors normally go less than 750 depending on where you're at. Sohc are hella cheap and saves lots of gas.

NeonSmokeRings

Waay cheaper than that. D series motors normally go less than 750 depending on where you're at. Sohc are hella cheap and saves lots of gas.
nice do you have a link or instructions on how to do the swap with parts oh and could I put in a vtec with the original auto trans?

Dnguyen92

Idk I mean ebay items are cool for like interior stuff or like lip kits, headlights/tail lights and stuff like that. But people tend to stay away from things on ebay that go into your engine because parts are cheaply made and sometimes they don't fit all too well. Some people get lucky and actually like what they get off ebay but its basically you get what you payed for. And there a tons of links or threads that'll show you how to swap a D series. Just google it you'll find something don't worry. The motor is lighter than any B,K,F, or H series so the swap shouldn't be too hard. You just need the tools and the knowledge to do it.

epic_civic

To be honest from all the stuff i've read, I would save money to just swap the motor. But if you want to keep it D then it's going to be some money involved if you want some power out of it. but 2slo4u is right about the turbo set up if you want the power.

Dnguyen92

To be honest from all the stuff i've read, I would save money to just swap the motor. But if you want to keep it D then it's going to be some money involved if you want some power out of it. but 2slo4u is right about the turbo set up if you want the power.
^^^
Yeah so if you want a good turbo you're looking to cash out quite a bit. You also want to make sure whatever you do that your car is still reliable.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
cast mani from go-autoworks
mitsubishi adapter cause that mani is T3/T4
14b, or go for a 16g if you want to spend the money
dsm 450s
used intercooler+piping or ebay

In a best case scenario thats around $400-500 if you roll with just the 14b. Plus the tune, which if you have a chipped ecu I would just find a good tuner and have him burn you a chip cause more than likely they have tuned one of these setups already. This isnt including a pump or BOV or an extra pan and whatever but you can get the idea.

done

smocha77

always better marinated
just my .02-
i did the mini me and all i got was more bwaaaaaah in the top. slight improvement but not alot...cost me less than 200 bucks though

Cobl18

Registered VIP
I know you said D16Y7 but i had this right on my desktop and the only difference is V-tec.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Lol hell no I don't have 10 grand laying around. It's a civic off d series.com he runs around and smashes every front wheel drive record on every track. In his posts he was saying how he can beat corvettes and vipers, called them slow haha how often do you hear that from a civic driver! Im going to model my car after his but fully built, I'm shooting for the fastest d series engine but I'm making my car look nice and suspension first and a transmission swap.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lol hell no I don't have 10 grand laying around. It's a civic off d series.com he runs around and smashes every front wheel drive record on every track. In his posts he was saying how he can beat corvettes and vipers, called them slow haha how often do you hear that from a civic driver! Im going to model my car after his but fully built, I'm shooting for the fastest d series engine but I'm making my car look nice and suspension first and a transmission swap.
Auto trans is so much slower than manual, swapping that'll make it quite a bit faster. I've read the difference between the DX and the EX/Si manual trans is another half second in the 0-60 time from the shorter gearing, too.