97 EX Too Much Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 97 EX project that was run outta oil by prevoius owner which caused problems mechanic added oil before i bought which i wasant aware so i added a small jugs worth myself now im seeing oil almost near my air filter but at least 5 inches down the pipe does the car contain to much is that the issue? the car wont fire anymore sounds like it choking almost whats the best and easiest way to drain oil out of it any help would be awesome thanks guys..........:werd:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why would you blindly add oil without checking it first?
Drain it the same way you would do an oil change, remove the oil pan drain plug.

Thanks man im aware of the process of removing the oil plug im very in tune with my civic just new to the club and the forums was looking for other ways but thanks anyways? :lame

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks man im aware of the process of removing the oil plug im very in tune with my civic
Apparently you're not "in tune", you added oil blindly without checking the oil level first, overfilling it,one of the most basic things on a car.
Now you're the one with a problem asking what is the easiest way to drain oil...that's :lame.

like i said the car was purchased under the assumption it had zero oil in it when we checked it had ZERO oil in it when it was added it had to much oil in it common mistake im sorry you over at team honda nail everything you do first time around congrats

Other ways to drain oil... Suck it out with a straw into your mouth.

lol awesome im going to pass your trick along..................that gave me a good laugh

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 97 EX project that was run outta oil by prevoius owner which caused problems
mechanic added oil before i bought which i wasant aware
so i added a small jugs worth myself
now im seeing oil almost near my air filter but at least 5 inches down the pipe
does the car contain to much
is that the issue? the car wont fire anymore
sounds like it choking almost
whats the best and easiest way to drain oil out of it
any help would be awesome
thanks guys..........
An occasional punctuation would help make your posts much easier to understand. I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "now im seeing oil almost near my air filter but at least 5 inches down the pipe". There is nothing oil related near the air filter area. Please try to explain that more clearly.

The easy way to reduce the oil is to jack up the car (safely) and slowly drain out oil from the oil pan drain plug. Drain out what you guess is about a quart at a time then tighten the bolt just a few threads in, enough to stop the oil from draining. Inspect the dip stick and keep repeating the drain until you reach the mid point between the marks on the dip stick, then fully tighten the oil drain plug. Reinspect then dip stick then pour back in oil, if need be, until its near the top mark, then you're done. Use a clean oil drip pan so you can re-use the new oil you'll be draining out.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There is nothing oil related near the air filter area. Please try to explain that more clearly.
@Bradley Robert It could be a bad PCV valve. I've also heard of blow-by getting into the intake tubing, which could certainly be the case if too much oil is in there. Crankcase is vented to the intake manifold. PCV valve helps the motor breath / relieve build up pressure, and if it's choked up in oil, air can flow backwards through the breather hose, and it can take oil / blow-by with it. This is why it's recommended to have an oil catch can with turbo / FI setup, because of the increased pressure building up.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@Bradley Robert It could be a bad PCV valve. I've also heard of blow-by getting into the intake tubing, which could certainly be the case if too much oil is in there. Crankcase is vented to the intake manifold. PCV valve helps the motor breath / relieve build up pressure, and if it's choked up in oil, air can flow backwards through the breather hose, and it can take oil / blow-by with it. This is why it's recommended to have an oil catch can with turbo / FI setup, because of the increased pressure building up.
I forgot about that, although I didnt think one could add enough.oil to have the pressure shoot it through the pressure release hose. Im glad you caught it.

Status
Not open for further replies.