97 hatch civic idle problem

MonKK

5+ Year Member
Here's a strange one for you guys. I have a h22a jdm in my 97 civic. Ok I will drive it for like 5min and comes to a stop and the idle starts to fluctuate high and immediately drop way down below 500rpm. When I start to go it seems to be sputtering from 2K to 3K. Then as I cruise around the car seems to fix itself and the idle problem stops and the sputtering stops to. It keeps goin on and off. I'm really getting annoy by this. Any one have any suggestion to my problem.

slammedej8

5+ Year Member
my car did this recently. it just had bad gas so i drained the tank put in fuel injector cleaner and filled her up with 93 and ran perfect

MonKK

5+ Year Member
I don't think its my gas or injectors. Because I just use the cleaner like 2 weeks ago and it still does the same thing. Any other suggestion?

rumahcharlie

5+ Year Member
check your BAC, right behind your throtle body, It works like vacuum system in carb system, when your engine has an extra load (air con., head lamp, brake booster, power steering system) BAC give a small intake air to cover the loads up. So, the engine will run smoothly at idle time.

Hope can help your problem.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is your engine running hot at all? its possible that it could be getting very hot in the engine bay during idling/sitting but then once your moving after awhile and the radiator is performing optimally then your good. idk its a suggestion. check your cooling system.

MonKK

5+ Year Member
I have no AC/POWER STEERING So. And I doubt its my cooling system. Any other sugesstioN?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why do you doubt it is your cooling system? i didnt mean a/c or power steering. i dont have neither.
while your driving and while your rpm's are high, your engine gets very hot, but your radiator is getting sufficient airflow, allowing the cooling system to keep the engine at a safe temperature. but when you stop, that engine heat is still there, and the thermostat will switch the fan on, but there is still excess heat. the excess heat gets trapped in the engine bay, and the only air source for the idling engine is extremely hot air, causing your idle to drop a little. then when you start driving again and as your engine requires more air, the only air source available is still hot air, until your at a sufficient speed where the engine bay has proper ventilation and the radiator as sufficient airflow.
if your cooling system is not up to par in the summer symptoms like you explained in your OP could occur. to be honest with you the same exact s**t happens to my car on a very hot day.