97CivicEx Radiator Fan Not Working,car Overheats, need help to direct wire switch?

johnmota93

Hi Everyone,

I have a 97 Civic Ex 4door sedan,i bought this car abotu 3 months ago with a blown engine so i couldnt test out engine parts. For some reason ever since i did my swap my radiator fan dosent work right, when my engine reaches cooling temerature it sputters sometimes and moves slowly or nothing at all which causes my engine to start heating up. I changed the engine thermometer and the fan switch sensor thats next to it twice, so i thought it was the fan i bought a used stock one and it didnt work so i bought a whole new radiator and aftermarket fan and it still didnt work, i out a wire in the fan sensor to test that the fan works and it does and turns on great,l left it like that but my car then was extremely weak and the revs kept going up n down so i just put it back which left me at step 1. I dont want to go to a electrician because i know theyll charge me alot so im at my final resort, my friends keep telling me to direct wire a fan switch so i can turn on the fan manually. I didnt want to do it but now have no choice. I wanted to see if you guys can help me with some info on how to wire it correctly and safely , maybe this happened to some of you and you can help me fix this problem that is driving me crazy? :???:

redneckvtek

Hey,

Im really lost by what you have described you did before. Can you please use the return key to separate your points?

I think I am gathering that you tried to:

Replace thermostat
Replace fan switch
Replace Fan

and nothing was changed

Then you tried to direct wire the fan and the fan worked at full speed?

when you direct wired the fan the car hunted for idle and was down on power?

Start at the basic stuff. Don't throw parts at the car, try to diagnose.

First step for me if the fan does not come on would be to check if it is getting power. Use a DMM and stick the leads in the plug. Car needs to be running with the motor hot so the fan would be on.

If the fan is getting power, its definitely the fan thats bad if its not working. Since you already changed fans, and the odds that 2 fans are bad that you have tried are acceptably low, id guess the fan wolnt be getting power (or if it is, not enough current to run the fan)..

Sounds to me like the relay might be bad, or might have some rusty connections, or you have a wiring issue between the fan and the battery. Check the fan wiring, check the fan relay, and check the grounds!

johnmota93

Hey sorry ive been a bit busy..ok yea i did it off my phone so ill re do it...

Hi Everyone,

I have a 97 Civic Ex 4door sedan,i bought this car abotu 3 months ago with a blown engine so i couldnt test out engine parts.
For some reason ever since i did my swap my radiator fan dosent work right, when my engine reaches cooling temerature it sputters sometimes and moves slowly or nothing at all which causes my engine to start heating up.

I changed the engine thermostat
the fan switch sensor thats next to it twice,

so i thought it was the fan i bought a used stock one and it didnt work so i bought a whole new radiator and aftermarket fan and it still didnt work,

i put a wire in the fan sensor to test that the fan works and it does and turns on great,
l left it like that but my car then was extremely weak and the revs kept going up n down so i just put it back which left me at step 1.

I dont want to go to a electrician because i know theyll charge me alot so im at my final resort, my friends keep telling me to direct wire a fan switch so i can turn on the fan manually.

I didnt want to do it but now have no choice. I wanted to see if you guys can help me with some info on how to wire it correctly and safely , maybe this happened to some of you and you can help me fix this problem that is driving me crazy?

johnmota93

yes exactly thats what has happened

i put like a short speaker wire into the sensor you plug into the fan switch sensor and it did turn on full speed
but like i said it lost too much power and started going up and down during idle

so i thought it was the relay but then i changed the relay and it turned on once, so i thought it was fixed but then it dosent turn anymore
it moves really slowly like if its stuck or like you said not getting enough power just moves inches but never kicks up??

im so lost i dont know what it could be so my friends tell me to just get a switch and direct wire it to the fan and turn it on manually,
but i dont know if that will make my car lose power and the revs start going up and down,, if you know any tip or advice let me know cuz i am willing to direct wire the switch but i dont want my car to lose power

redneckvtek

The fan is a high-current device. I am not sure of the specifics of the civic cooling fan of the top of my head, but it is likely a 20 amp draw on startup.

This is a big impact, because most alternators are only 80 amps or so. That means the alternator must instantly induce a 25% increase in output, which will most definitely bog your engine for a second.

As soon as the ECU sees the increased load, it should open up the IAC enough to return the idle to the regular RPM's.

I am not sure if this is what you are describing or not, so please let us know more specifically what you mean by lose power and the revs go up and down.

First of all, wiring up a manual switch is NOT the proper way to fix this, and in my opinion a BAD idea unless you really know what you are doing, which from what you are saying on here, you don't. (no offense intended) If you wanted to wire up the switch for manual control of the fan, it is possible, but again, it must be done correctly. The penalty for doing this wrong is a potential fire or destroyed wiring in your car. The PROPER way to wire up a switch would be to utilize the relay, and use the switch as a 3rd method of providing ground. See the 2nd picture below, the switch would need to be spliced into the GRN wire under-hood and then run into the cabin.

Here are the schematics so you know all the components involved. It has to be one of the things on this list. Use a DMM and figure out which component is faulty instead of just throwing (guessing) which part is bad. +12v refers to battery voltage in this case, which may be more or less than 12v exactly.

The first image refers to the location of the parts in the system. The only parts that are NOT shown are the ignition switch (obviously, where you insert your key) and the underhood fuse box, down by your left foot. There is 1 fuse inside this fuse box.

I will try to break it down for you in case you don't understand how to read the second image.
There are 4 fuses that must NOT be bad for the system to work.
Fuse No. 41 is the main fuse for the whole car, it fuses between the battery's + terminal and the rest of the car's electrics. The car wouldn't run if this was bad.
Fuse No. 42 is the main fuse for the under-dash fuse/relay box. None of the interior electrics would work if this was bad.
Fuse No. 20 is the first fuse of real concern. It provides 20A of power to the "power" side of the fan relay. The "power" side of the fan relay has power all the time.
Fuse No. 17 is the fuse inside the car. It is also of concern here. It gets power whenever the ignition is switched on, which prevents the fan from ever running with the car off. This fuse provides the "control" side of the relay with a switched 12v+ signal whenever the car is on.

You can see that in order to start the engine cooling fan, the "control" side of the relay must be provided a ground. The ground is EITHER provided by the ECM/PCM OR by the ECT switch near the thermostat (behind the distributor, near the VTEC switch, ect) If either of these devices provide a ground, the relay will trigger the fan to turn on.

Check to make sure that each of those fuses is good. DO a visual inspection as well as a resistance check using the DMM. resistance should be zero across all of those fuses.

Next, check to see that the +12v is actually getting to the relay. Pull the relay out of the fusebox and use the DMM to check for voltage. One lead should go to a known ground (such as the neg. terminal on the battery) and then probe the other lead into the terminal sockets. With the ignition set to OFF, only one of the 4 sockets should be getting +12v. This is the power input side. With the ignition set to RUN, 2 of the sockets should be getting +12v. The new socket with voltage is the control input socket.

If these are working, check the relay. Use jumper leads to hook up the control side of the relay to the battery terminals. Im not sure how honda labels their relays, but normally the pins will be 30, 85, 86, and 87. If hondas are different, im sure you can look it up with google. You want to hook up 85 and 86 in this case (the "control" side pins). When you do, the relay should click. Unhooking them should make it click again. You should also hook up the DMM to terminals 30 and 87 (The "power" side pins) and check for resistance. With either or both 85 or 86 unhooked, you should get infinite resistance. With both 85 and 86 hooked up, you should get 0 resistance.

You should check to make sure you were replacing the correct sensor. Try unpluging the ECT plug and jumpering the GRN wire from it to the engine block or any other good ground with the ignition set to the RUN position. This should make the relay trigger (you will feel/hear the click)

If that works, you should unplug the fan connector and ensure that the +12v and ground are getting to the fan properly. With the GRN wire still jumpered to a known good ground, use the DMM between the BLK/RED wire's terminal in the fan connector and a known good engine ground. You should get +12v. Then hook the leads between the ground terminal in the plug and a known good engine ground and check for resistance. You should get zero.

This is about all I know to say to help you. If you are still stumped, please take the car to a certified mechanic so that they can do the repair properly.

johnmota93

Hey thanks for all your help bro,

i actuallly found a diagram on some thread cuz some guy had the same problem as me
so i did the wiring to a toggle 3 prong switch the other day and i got it working!!

It was quite simple i just needed a visual idea of it
i cut the two wires positive and negative off the plug thats coming from the car, the one that you connect to the plug that the fan has ,

then i wired the negative wire to some ground on the chassis, and wired the positive wire to the toggle switch,

then i ran a wire from the positive on the toggle switch to the positive on the battery , then ran a wire from the toggle switch to some ground inside the car( thats just for the light the switch has to indicate its on)..

thats it now when i know the car needs the cooling fan( when im stopped in traffic or in a drive thru or whenever the cars not moving) i just have to flick the switch and bam the fan turns on full speed and keeps my car cool...

best thing of all since i didnt have to mess with the sensor that connects to the cooling fan switch my car did not loose any power at all and my revs dont go up and down like crazy , like what happened when i put the wire in the fan switch sensor ..

anyway thanks for all your help and time redneckvtek, hopefully someone that has the problem i had can see this thread for the solution , cuz i wasted so much money buying
fan switch sensors 2 of them 30$ each
thermostat 20$
2 fans one stock used 25$ , new aftermarket got it with radiator bundle 70$
a radiator got it with fan bundle for 70$ ( great radiator and fan highly recommend it)
relays and fuses got about 20-30$ worth of this stuff
none of those things worked

and at the end of it all bought some 7$ wire at auto zone, got the switch for free but i saw the same one for 4$ and you dont have to but i bought a couple of butt connectors and other connectors for the switch and some other parts to make sure the wireng is safe,i highly recommend buying these connectors electrical tape is not safe enough

total came out to like 20$ for everything if you dont have that just 7$ wire and 4$ switch with some electrical tape would do it
i wasted 200$ on all those other parts and nothing worked so to save yourself alot of money and trouble just direct wire it i think its even better that you control your fan manually i like it better than depending on the car to turn it on automatically..

anyone that has this problem and is looking at this thread and needs more info on whatever you P.M me or just reply here ill keep checking this thread