98 Civic delayed shifting between 2nd and 3rd

kw98

What's up, Forum?
I just bought a 98 automatic civic with 153K miles on it. Seems to me that sometimes it takes too long to go into 3rd gear from second. When it does drop, it does so at about 3000 RPMs. Is that too high? At other times it drops into 3rd at 2500-2700 RPMS. Any suggestions or ideas on what this might be or is it even an issue with the transmission?

What is a good/average cruising RPM level at 65mph? At what RPMs should my civic change gears between 1st and 4th gears?

Thanks for all of your input.

-kw98

Kali Hissle

SICKSPEED
Registered VIP
i mean if your not slamming on the gas racing 3 or 4 rpm should be fine cruising when shifting .but i have questions do you have a loud exhaust like cracks or leaks or clogged back thatll slow you down.or does the Car seem sluggish like somthings pulling you back in some way.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

kw98

No cracks or leaks and it does not feel like i am being held back. Maybe sluggish sometimes, but not too much. I just bought it about 2 weeks ago. I just do not want to hear that I have transmission issues.

I really appreciate your response.
Thanks, Kali.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Few possible things are going on. Could be incorrect fluid or fluid level. First, you should only use Honda genuine MTF. This will guarantee good shifts. Second, it's possible you could have bad synchronizer blocker rings, which could delay the synchronization process causing your delayed shifting.

Kali Hissle

SICKSPEED
Registered VIP
No problem.hopfully there is no tranny issues i know what you mean about that.but you can try the tranny fluid like he said and see what happens.i been using this gear oil from o'reilly's and honda didnt say much about it but i think i Will try theres and see if mine changes a bit to.because the rpm should go to redline in some cases racing or not it shouldnt stick around 2 or 3 all the time.cuz the highest mine goes with Out blowing anything is 4 rpm and if its 5rpm im sorta racing.but one should be able to step on the gas hard and it should redline not that you should but that fluid and syncro thing does make sense thats a good tip to look into ill do that myself.i gotta dx/lx tranny with long gears and i cant get to redline driving not even close but i can rev to it in idle.you know what tranny you have or know if the gears are short or long.

Kali Hissle

SICKSPEED
Registered VIP
Never mind scratch the tranny questions i reread its autommatic.but yea try the fluid thing

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I didn't see that it was automatic. Try changing your fluid. You have to drain and refill it like two or three times to perform a flush. After, check your solenoids on the housing.

kw98

Thanks, Osiris and Kali.
I really appreciate your input. I will work on getting the fluid flushed/changed to honda and check the synchronization and sensors. A tuneup might also help. I will follow up after I see how much of the above I can get done.
THANKS!

Kali Hissle

SICKSPEED
Registered VIP
Good deal,ill be doing a lil bit of what your doing myself to.