98 civic ex low idle

Tristin6946

I have a 98 civic d16y8 that is hard starting when its cold. When it starts it idles about 700-800 rpm. Its lacking alot of power and horrible gas mileage. On the highway i have to limp it to 40ish mph and put it in 2nd gear(automatic) to get enough power to get to highway speed. I replaced plugs,wires,MAP sensor and the TPS. When i replaced the tps i tried turning it to get it to the .05 volts closed and i could never get a reading from it. I also took the catalytic converter off to see if it was clogged but it isn't. I'm wondering if it inst getting enough fuel or if its over fueling. It also overheats alot sooner than it ever did. I dont know if it is related or not but i have to use 2nd key to get it out of park,the button on the shifter dose not compress like it should.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check fuel pressure, if it's overheating with this issue it could be running too lean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CincyCivic

I was having similar issues just last week, my RPM was set to 300 my buddy said- put it up to 700 now. Also led me to find that I had way too much freon in my tank.