98 Civic EX Overheating

hondaperson

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just got a new radiator installed 3 months ago for my 98 Civic EX. Last week, 3 separate days, the car would overheat while parked, A/C on. I got through the weekend by pulling over and opening the radiator cap - some coolant would bubble out. Turning on the car immediately after would show the temp level normal. The coolant levels were fine. So I brought it into another Honda dealership and they installed a new thermostat and a new thermal switch since they said the previous Honda dealership (that put in the new radiator) did not give me a new thermostat/thermal switch. It drove fine the next day over 2 long commutes - no overheating issues. But that night I pulled over with the A/C on - after 30 mins idle, started overheating again. Opening the radiator cap brought the temp level normal again.

I first thought that it could have been simple air pockets, but when they put in the thermostat/switch, they also bled the system.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

orfus5

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check the rad. cap and see if its still good.
and if both fans are working.

hondaperson

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
orfus5 said:
check the rad. cap and see if its still good.
and if both fans are working.
Which is the other fan? The radiator fan works.

How can check if the cap is still good?

ST8JDM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
am sure one of your fans is not wroking i have the same problem all i do is drive with the air moving it cools it down if not that then water pump some times wen the car is stoped and the motor runing it does not make presure but wen you drive the water starts moving

squeze the hose and rev. up your motor and feel if water runs

orfus5

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hondaperson said:
Which is the other fan? The radiator fan works.

How can check if the cap is still good?
let your car idle , and watch under the hood for a while a check and see if the fans kick on,(a/c on too)
also make sure you keep an eye on the temp.

for the cap, just see if the rubber looks good and that the spring seems normal