98 civic front bumper grill removable?

myfavecoupe

Wondering if the grill is removable from the bumper? My car was painted before I purchased it and they didn't bother to cover the grill so it's color matched to rest of the car.

Also what would be best paint for it for closest to stock color, trim paint or plasti dip? Thanks

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So if you take the front bumper off and flip it upside down, you can see the screws that hold it in.

As far as paint, the trim around the outside SHOULD match the rest of the car, the rest of the grill is just unpainted black plastic.

If your grill has no screws holding it on and is one piece, it's an aftermarket bumper / grill combo.

myfavecoupe

Cool. It should be oem. Think it's best I paint it black or try removing the paint that's on it? It's already chipping in some parts.

What color would be closest match to plastic black, matte black?

Oh btw I was referring to the lower bigger grill not the one with the H emblem. Should have been more specific, is that detachable as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No that section is not removable. It must be taped off and painted. A matte black would be best to match the original finish

myfavecoupe

No that section is not removable. It must be taped off and painted. A matte black would be best to match the original finish

Thanks. Would it be better to try removing the paint off it with a paint stripper or does that risk damaging the plastic?

CivicHx1998

SpeedDemon

Actually it is removable. You just have to drop the bumper and remove the screws out of the bottom of the grille for it to come out.

Redneck rice rocket

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Actually it is removable. You just have to drop the bumper and remove the screws out of the bottom of the grille for it to come out.
Reread OP's follow up, the lower grill built in to the bumper is not removeable. Mine was cracked and I ended up using a Dremel to cut it out, sand it down smooth and leave it open until I buy a new bumper.