98 Civic LX sedan project rebuild

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
So I went to start the car, engine cranks but fuel pump is not running and no CEL light. I changed the fuses and then swapped the main relay, no change. Then I swapped out the ecu for my spare p2p no change. I put the p2e back and then jumped the relay harness the fuel pump primed. So that is where I am at, I also checked my grounds at the trans, valve cover and the thermostat. all look good. I even sanded the grounding area. The ECU is getting power to it, I am going to ground A7 to see if the pump turns on however I doubt both computers are bad.

Suggestions would be great.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dang man :???: If you give the fuel pump voltage directly, does it work?

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Fixed! So stupid really after hours of troubleshooting and testing continuity, everything was pointing to a ground issue by the thermostat. I sanded and double checked, well the last time I noticed the thermostat housing was a bit loose (face palm), I forgot to toque the bottom bolt.

It fired up after that, what a great sound. I didn't let it warm up completely but oil pressure was around 55psi and the heat was starting to get warm. quickly checked for leaks didn't notice any or vacuum. Sunday I will run it again and let it reach full operating temp, was running at about 1500 rpm but I am thinking once it warms up it will go down. might need some attention though. But I am stoked, she sounds good. I will try and post a vid, can I do that? lol

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Bled the coolant today and let it run until the fan kicked on, everything is going well so far. Temps are holding, thermostat works, heat works. Still idling a bit high, I will keep working on that. Also my clutch wont engage, the pedal is still soft so I need figure that out. Ordered my exhaust and hopefully I can take it on a test drive in a couple more weeks.

Catch can setup, just venting the block right now.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Got the clutch to engage, cool. The idle is steady at 1400 rpm still working on that.

Next up I am waiting for the exhaust to show up and O2 extension for the secondary sensor. Going to also bleed the brakes cause they squishy and damn my rear drums are crusty, going to have to do something about that. Also tomorrow ordering some coilovers, can't wait.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you're going to be working with the rear drum brakes, I highly recommend you inspect the wheel cylinders. Mine were both pretty close to failing because the cylinder had degraded where the piston rests, and we have cars from the same year :thumbs up

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
If you're going to be working with the rear drum brakes, I uis going to be a chore, not sure if I will mess with it just yet. Researching some alternatives.
If you're going to be working with the rear drum brakes, I highly recommend you inspect the wheel cylinders. Mine were both pretty close to failing because the cylinder had degraded where the piston rests, and we have cars from the same year :thumbs up
I agree, I am sure they are in pretty bad shape. It will be fun working the cover off, not looking forward to that.

You have a build of your car? I would like to see what you got.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Can anyone guess which exhaust I went with? Before anyone says anything, for what it cost it isn't half bad. Its an exhaust after all, if a weld breaks just take it to local muffler shop and get it fixed. I would rather spend the money where it counts like on the turbo. I like the sound too from what I have heard. Not annoying loud so I make enemies with my neighbors but still enough to say "here I am

I know, sticker needs to go.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
So I had bleed the clutch again and after going thru 3 bottle of fluid and watching an ungodly amount of bubbles come thru the line I gave up and started troubleshooting. I pulled the boot back on the clutch slave and there was a bunch of fluid in there. So now I know where all those bubbles were coming from. The slave was from the donor car which appeared to be in better shape then my original, guess not. So I decided to order a new OEM one. Should be here next week. fun!

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
New slave is in and yet after 2 hours of bleeding I will still seeing bubbles and even though I was getting pedal pressure it wasn't enough to get it into gear. I picked up a air bleeder set but was only able to spend about 30 minutes with it before I ran out of brake fluid. I am picking more up tomorrow but I won't get to work on it more until probably sunday. I do not see and leaks anywhere I re threaded all the lines with a thread sealer just to be sure. There is just a lot of air in it for some reason so I will keep at it. that is the only thing holding me back from going on a test run at this point. kinda sucks, learning experience I suppose.

In addition I got the coilovers on and set to ride height. When I get my new wheels and tires they may need to be readjusted but good for now.

My opinion on $500 coilovers, they seem to cater to the folks who want to go real low (stanced). In the image I have them set almost all the way turned up, now these advertise for 0-4" of drop 0 being oem I guessing. That is a false claim obviously as you can see in the picture I am at roughly 2.5 to 3 inches of drop with room to slam to the ground. Naturally I am not into that, I am OK with the ride height as it sits now but would have preferred a little less drop. Time will tell if I keep these or swap them out.

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
On which fittings did you use sealer? I thought all the lines were compression fittings and use flair inside for sealing, same as the brake lines at the body.

Sent from my boujea ass phone

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
On which fittings did you use sealer? I thought all the lines were compression fittings and use flair inside for sealing, same as the brake lines at the body.

Sent from my boujea ass phone
They are, I applied a dab around the thread itself. They were dry and probably not necessary but I did it anyway. The one down by the slave and the two at the start an end of the rubber hose portion.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Still need an instrument dual gauge pod? I'll have to look to see if I have a box, but I think I have two of those cluster pods sitting in the attic. Shipping cost will get you one!

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Still need an instrument dual gauge pod? I'll have to look to see if I have a box, but I think I have two of those cluster pods sitting in the attic. Shipping cost will get you one!
Yeah man, hook me up! As long as it is clean and not broken or anything. Message me.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If it were broken, I'd just toss in the trash ;) I'll try to check for a box tonight and get pics for you though. I'll message with that info.

Last edited: