98 Civic LX sedan project rebuild

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Hey everyone,

Got a project I have been working on here and there, wanted a place to post and show my efforts thus far. Currently I have the engine (d16y7) torn down. Started ordering some parts for it and soon I will drop the block off to get freshened up and prepped for bigger pistons.

Stage 1 will be engine rebuild and have the car operational again.

Stage 2 will be everything else, turbo build as well as focus on suspension, wheels/tires, brakes, a few interior bits.

this is not my daily, just a project/toy. Something to ride fast in occasionally so my focus is on speed, performance and handling. The car will be a bit of a sleeper on the outside as I have no immediate plans for a repaint, most people wont blink twice at it. Thats the plan. I will get photos and timeline to where I am at currently in just a bit. thanks

pitbull80.cg

Hey everyone,

Got a project I have been working on here and there, wanted a place to post and show my efforts thus far. Currently I have the engine (d16y7) torn down. Started ordering some parts for it and soon I will drop the block off to get freshened up and prepped for bigger pistons.

Stage 1 will be engine rebuild and have the car operational again.

Stage 2 will be everything else, turbo build as well as focus on suspension, wheels/tires, brakes, a few interior bits.

this is not my daily, just a project/toy. Something to ride fast in occasionally so my focus is on speed, performance and handling. The car will be a bit of a sleeper on the outside as I have no immediate plans for a repaint, most people wont blink twice at it. Thats the plan. I will get photos and timeline to where I am at currently in just a bit. thanks
Im trying to do the same but it my daily so it is going to take more time. I have a y8 head im putting on mine then sarting the parts for turbo. I think i am going with 10lbs of boost this first time just to see how my car handles it but it will take some time. since i don't make much money where i work.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Im trying to do the same but it my daily so it is going to take more time. I have a y8 head im putting on mine then sarting the parts for turbo. I think i am going with 10lbs of boost this first time just to see how my car handles it but it will take some time. since i don't make much money where i work.

Looks clean, is that a repaint? Mine is worn pretty bad. Body is straight though and no rust! I will try and post pics later.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Here are some early pics, drove it home from NY to DE with a badly cracked header.

Here she is in all her glory

Paint is shot but I am leaving it

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
nothing left here, first time tearing down a motor all they way. You learn alot, I know I did.

Currently I am wrapping up notching the block, my P2P0 pistons and rods set is in. Soon I will be sending the block of for the refresh and bore.

First time doing it, hope I took enough out.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Had to get a new OEM wiper fluid cap, haha.

pic of me...always wanted to do this.

That is pretty much where I am at for time being. I am going to clean up the engine bay a bit more and I started gutting most of my interior as well as trunk. Haven't taken any pics of that. Let me know if anyone has questions. I will most more when I get more done. later

-Scott

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Ok, Here are some more for you. Block and crank are being dropped off next week, exciting stuff.
75.5mm

Comparison

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Not much going on, dropping the crank and block off today!

Also decided to take apart the oil pump, it is the original and not sure if it was ever replaced however it was working when I tore it apart and the gears spin freely. going to attempt a port and shim...why not.

Ordered the bearing set so I should be building soon!
Saturday I am heading over to a pick and pull, they have a 96 civic. Not sure on the condition or what model but I will see if I can rob some parts from it. Thats it for now.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
welp, the civic I went to see at the junkyard was an LX 4 dr like mine. Same color too, only difference was the auto trans. not much to pick from but the motor is complete, good to know if I ever need another y7. I did get a new bracket for the coolant overflow, harness for the driver headlight and a sprayer head for the wiper fluid.

waiting to get the block back, they said it would be a few weeks. So I am still tinkering with the oil pump, making a parts list oh and I also took out my passenger airbag.

later

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Started working on the wire tuck for my headlights. The passenger side is mostly done just need to clean it up a bit.

I realize most of where I am at currently and what I am doing has been done hundreds of times already. Thanks to those people who went through the trouble of sharing their experiences, without them this would be much more difficult.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Got the drivers side done last night, came out pretty good.

I ran a new hose for the wiper fluid, it is the one thing I need to have. Can't stand dirty windows.
Also need to get a battery so I can test the headlights before I put the fenders back on. Going to sand and use some rustoleum on that rusty seem in the fender well.

pitbull80.cg

welp, the civic I went to see at the junkyard was an LX 4 dr like mine. Same color too, only difference was the auto trans. not much to pick from but the motor is complete, good to know if I ever need another y7. I did get a new bracket for the coolant overflow, harness for the driver headlight and a sprayer head for the wiper fluid.

waiting to get the block back, they said it would be a few weeks. So I am still tinkering with the oil pump, making a parts list oh and I also took out my passenger airbag.

later
How much for 96 auto tranny. I am looking for one?