98 Civic LX sedan project rebuild

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Peel back the rubber again and check (even if new) i went through a slave a yr with my last PP, and have seen bent forks which make the piston overextend and screw the pooch on a new unit. Id also clean the tread locker off, it like using teflon tape on -AN fittings, can cause more harm then good. GL

Sent from my boujea ass phone

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Peel back the rubber again and check (even if new) i went through a slave a yr with my last PP, and have seen bent forks which make the piston overextend and screw the pooch on a new unit. Id also clean the tread locker off, it like using teflon tape on -AN fittings, can cause more harm then good. GL

Thanks, I checked the slave and it is dry. I checked under the dash and it was dry. Also tested the master pressure by clamping the rubber hose on the line and I could not press the pedal down. Was solid, so I bled a bit more and the pedal feels decent.

Now here is something, if I press the pedal 3/4 of the way down I can shift into gear fine and will not roll, will grab if I let off but if I press it to the floor I cannot get into gear. Does that mean I just need to adjust the pedal a bit?

Resurfaced flywheel
New Mcleod Clutch and bearing

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Running or not?

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Running, 3/4 of the way down and it is smooth into gear even reverse the clutch grabs and I start to roll as I ease off it. If I press pedal to the floor I cannot shift into gear.

I was still seeing bubbles with the vacuum bleeding so not sure if I should just keep at it or adjust the pedal.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Could it be I am losing pressure the further down I press the pedal? Most likely from the air I am still seeing. I need to look at the fork and see if it expands and then contracts back the further down I press the pedal, I think that would be an indication of pressure loss.

This is driving me nuts, I am going to pick up a gallon of fluid and just spend 2 hours bleeding. if I still see bubbles after that I give up.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Well

The good:
I am able to shift into gear after adjusting the pedal, was turned all the way out for some reason and got to finally drive the car. Runs good! Motor has good power with no hesitation, no check engine lights. I didn't go above 4k rpms, tested all the gears, shifts good.

The bad:
The battery light came on, went home and tested voltage at the alternator and only reading 12.5 same at the battery when car is on. Was dropping slightly too, so need to replace that.

Still getting the high idle and now after driving it for 10 minutes was getting I guess what you call idle surge. Would rev up to 1500 and hold for a minute or two then drop. So need to fix that, there is no vacuum leak. I put my hand over the throttle body and instantly dies. The coolant should be good, car is holding temperature and heat works good. So next is cleaning the IAC and the throttle body itself. that is the big issue.

Final issue is the noise! it is so loud in the car, everything is vibrating. I cannot even hear the exhaust. The yonaka motor mounts will not cut it for me so I need to get some good ones. Hasport I think is what everyone likes.

To do:
new oil and filter
alternator
new windshield
motor mounts

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
I ran two quick tests for idle issues

Started the car and let is warm up, idle was around 1400 to 1600. I then unplugged the IAC, there was no change.

Plugged it back in then covered the hole in the throttle with my thumb the car stalled out. Is it supposed to do that? I am assuming it is supposed to as the plate is closed. I started it again and covered the hole enough to calm down the idle so i am thinking is the IAC stuck open? The check engine light came on when I unplugged so the ECU knows it is there. I am going to take it apart and see.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Looks like I have most of the bugs worked out. Replacing the IAC solved the high idle issue, also re bled the coolant and then checked timing after it was warmed up. Currently Idling around 800rpm.

Swapped out the alternator from my spare y8 and that is charging at 14.4 and battery light is off. I am going to take it for another test drive Thursday to see how it does, as long as it checks out then I will spend the coin on a new windshield and then off to the DMV to see if it will pass inspection.

I will get a few pics of it out of the garage, needs a good cleaning though. maybe this weekend.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Getting some fresh air, still very dirty. It will get attention soon but here are some more visuals.

Now keep in mind this car is far far from complete. Many things that still need attention, this is just where I am at currently. project car never done.

thanks

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
New windshield being installed on Monday.

I couldn't help myself, I ordered new rims and tires.

Konig Helium Bronze 15x6.5 - I chose because they look good, light weight, inexpensive. Hope they look good with green.
Nitto NT05 205/50/15- IDK, people seem to like them and got them for a good deal.

Also going to order passwordJDM extended lug nuts in black and Hardrace camber kit for the rear.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Safelite repair, Safelite replace.

Booty shot

So now my sandwich plate is leaking, never ends.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
New shoes, fixed the oil leak and even passed inspection. NOT registered yet, issue with title. So I cannot go cruise, probably be a couple more weeks. PFA

That's not water, that's paint peel. lol

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Got the Bezel installed, thanks to MportedcivicSI. Don't worry about the idle or oil psi, that was at cold start up. Everything levels out once it warms up.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Been a minute

Hardrace camber kit finally came, got that dialed in along with some new OEM bolts (had to cut the old ones), which btw are ridiculously over priced.

Also, new steering wheel came in. Really like the feel, waiting on the hub and then will install.

Other then that, not much going on. Driving it when I can, been running great. No issues, well one issue is the cheap motor mounts. Already showing some wear on the drivers mount so they will need to be replaced. I am going to continue to tool around with it for the summer take a small break from car building. Starting in the fall I will be doing a mini me swap to vtec with a Y8 head and then starting piecing together the turbo.

Currently the garage is under construction, got some electrical upgrades being doing amongst other things. So car projects are on hold for a bit. I do want to work on headlight restore and painting the wiper arms and grill, hopefully I can squeeze that in.

more later.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Steering wheel installed. Sits close to the column, fingers touch the blinker and wiper arms and I cannot connect the horn because it hits the locking nut. Planned on getting the quick release so that should solve both current issues. Others then that, I dig it.

Last edited:

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Well car has been running great. Putting some more miles on it. Decided to leave it non vtec, I am ready for turbo upgrades but decided to hold off a bit longer. Making the car safer to drive needs to be the priority but now I have my hands fulls. Started with just replacing the lower ball joints, that has escalated into new bearings, ARP studs, upper camber and brake upgrades. So the car will be down for a bit.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Some parts arrived, amazon sent me the wrong bearings so I will not be able to press them in until next weekend. I did manage to get 4 studs pressed in and started painting the tire letters. doesn't look too bad for one coat, a few runs but I should be able to clean them up some. this project has me thinking about getting a dedicated shop press for the garage.

Hondad78

Respected
5+ Year Member
Not bad for a 6 dollar paint marker, I have my doubts that it will hold up for very long. Later on I may spring for the stick on letters, really like the look it gives. 2 in the rear done, front is jacked up still so not at ride height. will get a better photo once I am done.

Drums look like dookie, I know. All in due time.
One bj in(moog)..lots more to do