98 civic or 98 prelude

MyLittleTeg

A friend of mine wants to trade cars and im contemplating it. So here's the good and bad on both and some pictures at the bottom. Give me your input

So my current car is a 98 civic
D16y5 roller rocker cams

The good

EBay coils
EBay exhaust system
No name 4-2-1 headers

The bad

Bad winsheild
Needs struts
Tires aren't the best

Now the prelude
98 prelude h22a4

The good
Mostly stock except cold air intake and exhaust tip
Brand new Yoko tires
Carbon fiber hood
Dohc VTEC

The bad
Semi auto and reverse is bad
Dents behind the door on both sides. Fixable

And the prelude

Sorry for the blur, they was shutting the hood on me

So which one would you have? Semi auto or standard. Prelude or civic. Dohc VTEC or Sohc VTEC-E

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, as much as I would love a clean late prelude for DD purposes and not to mod.. That one looks like its been a little molested..

IDK If you know the car and if it has any issues or not.. this decision resides on you.

MyLittleTeg

A 18 year old female Honda enthusiast owns it. She doesn't dog it out and she is a mantinence over mods type of person if that helps out. It is in great shape cosmetically compared to my civic (junkyard special) but it's still a slap shifter instead of my standard. Only thing holding me back from doing it

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well if the trans is in good shape and has maintenance done, Its up to you

from the pic, brake fluid needs changing

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the Prelude was manaul, I'd say do it right away, but it being an auto hurts it for me a bit.
BUT, you can always do an auto to manual swap.
If the car has been well maintained and it's nearly in stock condition, I'd say go for it.
Don't ruin this one though.
The Civic needs a bit of work, the generic parts on it are a real turn off for me, which would sway me to trade it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree that the stuff on your "the good" list for the Civic should all be under "the bad". But if she doesnt see it that way then you have an advantage. Have the Preludes tranny inspected by a reputable mechanic. If the estimated repairs are reasonable then Id trade the Civic for it. However, being that the Prelude pic is far too unclear to assess the body damage, you should probably get an estimate on that as well. The good is that the Prelude can likely be traded or sold for more money than your Civic if youd pour equal money into each. You may get lucky and be able to trade the Prelude for a manual one later. Consider all those options but definitely get those repair estimates.

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After some thinking, I'd do this trade.
The Civic has been "tinkered" with, and not in a good way.
The Prelude, IMO, has a better interior anyway.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd keep the Civic and fix all the bad's.

Windshield - $150
Struts - $180
Tires - $400

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd keep the Civic and fix all the bad's.

Windshield - $150
Struts - $180
Tires - $400
Along with
EBay coils
EBay exhaust system
No name 4-2-1 headers

The Prelude seems like you'd be farther ahead as far as power and a bit more upscale interior.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Along with
EBay coils
EBay exhaust system
No name 4-2-1 headers

The Prelude seems like you'd be farther ahead as far as power and a bit more upscale interior.
Who's to say he couldn't upgrade those parts as well?

MyLittleTeg

I got the civic with all those "upgrades" and I could fix all the issues and do a b swap on it but then I'd have more money and effort in it than I could buy me another teg for

MyLittleTeg

According to the girl now it won't shift past second and you can't put it in park without using the key lock release half the time. So idk what the deal is with it. At first I though shift solenoid and now I'm thinking there is 1,000,001 problems with that car

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yeah that precum sounds like poop

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
id just keep the civic and fix it tbh

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
According to the girl now it won't shift past second and you can't put it in park without using the key lock release half the time. So idk what the deal is with it. At first I though shift solenoid and now I'm thinking there is 1,000,001 problems with that car
Auto to manual swap fixes that.....

MyLittleTeg

True but if she hasn't had that checked out and I was under the assumption its well maintained. That contradicts itself and that makes me believe it is in as bad of shape if nit worse than the civic. (Which I have already put struts on)