99 Civic HX - Bad upstream O2. What brand of O2 to replace with?

Gravidee

So some of you may know that the HX uses a 5 wire O2 sensor vs your typical 4 wire.

These 5 wire O2's cost an arm and a leg and I don't plan to keep the single cam in there for more than a year or two and was wondering has anyone tried the cheaper walker/ultra power O2's instead of NGK/NTK/Denso?

Some of them are running as much as $150+ which in my opinion is a bit too much since the car I only paid $1500 for the car. I don't want to cheap out and buy something that won't work but not wanting to spend a lot on a sensor I will only be using for a year or so.

Gravidee

How do you know the wide band O2 sensor is bad?

$172 for the Denso sensor from Rockauto. Price too high?
Check engine light, car driving like crap, loss in MPG.

Pulled code and it's showing for that sensor. Can't remember code off the top of my head, I scanned it a few days ago.

$172 is high (to me) but I guess it's because this is my first time buying a 5 wire o2 sensor, lesson learned. I'm used to buying your typical 4 wire denso o2 for $28-$50.

Gravidee

Post the actual OBD2 code. There may be other possible causes for the code.

Are additional CEL codes thrown?
P1164

After taking off the exhaust manifold there is a crack around the O2 sensor bung. Replaced it with a oem style exhaust manifold and the car now seems to drive with no sputtering and can definitely tell power is back. I will come back to tell you guys if the code comes back, it's been 2 days.

With the new O2 sensor the code came back within 30 mins of driving.

Gravidee

P1164 came back.

I'm about ready to dump this D16Y5.

I've replaced the O2 Sensor with a Delphi one, any chance of it being bad or the car being picky it's not NGK/Denso?

I've replaced the cracked oem exhaust manifold with a Dorman OE style replacement, fitment is spot on, no leaks so I know for damn sure this is good.

I'm left with replacing the O2 Sensor to a better known brand NGK/Denso or replacing the ECU but I don't think it's the ECU.

Any ideas? If it's going to cost too much I will most likely just get rid of it and go B20.

I can still return the O2 sensor. So far I'm out $300 or so ;/

Gravidee

Carefully inspect the O2 sensor connector pins and wires. The problem could be there.
It's dark here now and i'm about to head to work, i'll inspect it when I get back home. Good suggestion!

I went ahead and placed an order for a Denso sensor. I figured since I've already spent $134 for the Delphi why not give the Denso a shot at $40 more. If it fixes it, great! If it doesn't then I am either buying a B20 or headed to a mechanic.

FWIW : I used to drive a 93 accord (5-6 years ago) and when I had a bad O2 on that car I decided to replace it with a Bosch O2 sensor. Code went away and came back a day later. Replaced it with a walker sensor and same thing. Went onto the forums and it turns out that car was very picky with O2 sensors and only worked well with denso/ngk. I immediately bought a denso o2 sensor and all was well after that. I am hoping it's the same case here since this is my first time using the brand Delphi. After some research it seems they are a parts supplier for GM. (owned by gm?) Had I known that beforehand I probably would've just opted for the Denso.

Denso O2 gets here Wednesday, fingers crossed this is it. I've bought the car and have owned it for about a month now but the total amount of time i've driven it is probably 10 hours max altogether.

Gravidee

Throwing money away and wasting time buying the wrong parts does hurt.
Sorry to bring the thread back up but..

I couldn't find any info on the Delphi so I gave it a shot, nothing wrong with that.

It doesn't hurt, not for you guys anyway. Now you know it doesn't work. Take it for what you will.