99 civic si EJ model.

Volksjager

picked up a 99 civic si from an old co-worker, she did rarely any maintenance to it, checked the plugs which were burnt out, rear hubs were seized, rear end is slightly banged up... Dont know where to start besides the spark plugs, as it sits right now, it does fire but its high idling and smells rich. Only paid 50$ for the vehicle. Where would you guys start?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CEL on?
Get the timing checked, also IAT and/or O2 sensor could be bad.

Drakon543

an unmaintained vehicle? if your intent on bringing it back to life or if your wondering if its even salvageable at this point. if your set on fixing it do a full tune up regardless. plugs wires cap rotor basic cheap tune up stuff and check the codes. then clear the codes and see what pops back up. couldn't even count how many times a vehicle was brought to me with problems engine related and most of the issues were basic maintenance. if your trying to find out if its salvageable check your codes first and post those. after that bare minimum until your sure its even worth repairing. im going to have a pos Hyundai in my driveway shortly that may be in that situation. WELL over due for everything and WELL past any actual vehicle inspections done. plus well its a hyundai lol

Volksjager

an unmaintained vehicle? if your intent on bringing it back to life or if your wondering if its even salvageable at this point. if your set on fixing it do a full tune up regardless. plugs wires cap rotor basic cheap tune up stuff and check the codes. then clear the codes and see what pops back up. couldn't even count how many times a vehicle was brought to me with problems engine related and most of the issues were basic maintenance. if your trying to find out if its salvageable check your codes first and post those. after that bare minimum until your sure its even worth repairing. im going to have a pos Hyundai in my driveway shortly that may be in that situation. WELL over due for everything and WELL past any actual vehicle inspections done. plus well its a hyundai lol
O2 sensor comes up on code reader, that’s all. Cat is plugged, old owner had a friend drill holes into it. I have plugs, cables, cap all coming, so when I get them in then I will continue diagnostics

Drakon543

well before i went a slightly better route i was working on getting my cat and stock front pipes to seal back up i kicked around the idea of removing the cat for a quick fix. a cheap replacement cat is about 120 or so from rock auto for a direct bolt in. there are universal options you can reuse the front and rear flange from the old cat and get a cat with an o2 bung for much less. tune up and a good cat will probably get rid of that rich smell. if you decide to replace the cat i suggest getting a replacement sensor as the old ones dont always like to come out and still be usable. keep us posted

Volksjager

well before i went a slightly better route i was working on getting my cat and stock front pipes to seal back up i kicked around the idea of removing the cat for a quick fix. a cheap replacement cat is about 120 or so from rock auto for a direct bolt in. there are universal options you can reuse the front and rear flange from the old cat and get a cat with an o2 bung for much less. tune up and a good cat will probably get rid of that rich smell. if you decide to replace the cat i suggest getting a replacement sensor as the old ones dont always like to come out and still be usable. keep us posted
the 02 sensor thing doesnt bother me much, though the group of mechanics here say that it would be fine just straight piping it just so then it can pass the inspection, and in this small town all the mechanical shops, all the mechanics here have worked with each other at some point. I might go that route.

Further news, the EJ now has new front rotors, calipers, brakes and the rear drums, shoes, a new e-brake cable for driver rear(had to cut it to free up the tire) and now all i am missing is just a windshield. its been a long process, but well worth it