99 em1

bkjj77

Registered VIP
Is it possible to blow your enginge on an em1
Does it have a cut off valve at the redline?
Also when does Vtec kick in....i heard 6k but i just want to know
Thanks...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's possible to blow your engine in ANY car... Why do you ask?

There is something called a rev limiter that cuts fuel / ignition until the engine drops to a safer RPM. You can bypass it but it's pointless on a stock motor and generally VERY dangerous for the engine unless it's built properly. Otherwise you can say bye-bye to your motor.

VTEC kicks in at 6K I believe for B16A2's.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
you might of, i mean sure you can hit 8K RPM and be okay but its like playing Russian roulet with your car. but hey if its built to go that high than by all means red line it, but on a stock motor its 1. pointless and 2. dangerous

Cobl18

Registered VIP
do you think you blew your engine or are you contemplating removing the rev limiter?

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
1999/2000 Si B16a2-

Redline: 8,000 rpm
Rev Limit: 8,450 rpm
VTEC Engagement: 5,600 rpm

The power band is reached by 7600RPM so you dont really have a need to run higher than that. While its not recommended to just beat on the limiter it also wont hurt it. Its there as a safety measure but that is not to say that bad things cannot happen. The engine was designed to safely operate up to that limit and a little beyond. Limits are not set on things at the max sustainable operation. They are set below to ensure that safety. But, there is alway a chance of something letting go in the motor, you just never know. That is why good maintenance is key. I keep mine up and do visual inspections frequently. If you are just driving around on the street, you have no reason to see redline or even hit VTEC much. Usually the only time I cross over in my daily travels is if I am getting on the highway and have stupid people blocking the merging area. Other than that it only gets spun up when I'm on track.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so i wont blow the engine if i hit 8k rpm
You can hit 8k.... Just don't hold it at 8k or ping it off the rev limiter all day long. I used to take my car up to redline on a daily basis and I have 222k miles now.