99 em1

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by bkjj77, Oct 26, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. bkjj77

bkjj77 New Member Registered VIP

Is it possible to blow your enginge on an em1
    Does it have a cut off valve at the redline?
    Also when does Vtec kick in....i heard 6k but i just want to know
    Thanks...

2. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

It's possible to blow your engine in ANY car... Why do you ask?

There is something called a rev limiter that cuts fuel / ignition until the engine drops to a safer RPM. You can bypass it but it's pointless on a stock motor and generally VERY dangerous for the engine unless it's built properly. Otherwise you can say bye-bye to your motor.

VTEC kicks in at 6K I believe for B16A2's.

3. bkjj77

bkjj77 New Member Registered VIP

so i wont blow the engine if i hit 8k rpm

4. Cobl18

Cobl18 New Member Registered VIP

you might of, i mean sure you can hit 8K RPM and be okay but its like playing Russian roulet with your car. but hey if its built to go that high than by all means red line it, but on a stock motor its 1. pointless and 2. dangerous

5. Cobl18

Cobl18 New Member Registered VIP

do you think you blew your engine or are you contemplating removing the rev limiter?

6. mportedcivicsi

mportedcivicsi Respected Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

1999/2000 Si B16a2-

Redline: 8,000 rpm
    Rev Limit: 8,450 rpm
    VTEC Engagement: 5,600 rpm

The power band is reached by 7600RPM so you dont really have a need to run higher than that. While its not recommended to just beat on the limiter it also wont hurt it. Its there as a safety measure but that is not to say that bad things cannot happen. The engine was designed to safely operate up to that limit and a little beyond. Limits are not set on things at the max sustainable operation. They are set below to ensure that safety. But, there is alway a chance of something letting go in the motor, you just never know. That is why good maintenance is key. I keep mine up and do visual inspections frequently. If you are just driving around on the street, you have no reason to see redline or even hit VTEC much. Usually the only time I cross over in my daily travels is if I am getting on the highway and have stupid people blocking the merging area. Other than that it only gets spun up when I'm on track.

7. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

You can hit 8k.... Just don't hold it at 8k or ping it off the rev limiter all day long. I used to take my car up to redline on a daily basis and I have 222k miles now.