99 lx upgrading

I have been doing some upgrades to.my civic for a while and really want to move on the engine now. I have a short ram intake and short shift done.i have installed belectronics stir+ fog lights and killer audio setup. Need engine upgrades to warrant great radar detector! engine is stock i believe d16y7. Next i was thinking of upgrading the throttle body, headers+high flow cat, then fuel rail and fuel pump.
Questions.
what size mm on throttle body? 56 or 60?
Should i do other upgrades first?
Also i was told there really isn't really a high flow or high performance cat. Should i just keep stock cat converter?

Cobl18

Registered VIP
To be honest a larger throttlebody really isn't going to get you any power maybe 1-2 horsepower on a good day. D series engines don't respond well to bolt ons, even with a intake and exhaust with no cat I barely tip the scales of 5 extra horsepower on a perfect day. If you want a high flow just get a test pipe and a o2 sensor bung so that your CEL doesn't throw a code. D series engines benefit best from either a swap or boosting it. What all have you done to your car besides engine work? I don't mean to rain on your parade man and welcome to club civic =)

ha ha no rain! I came here because I wanted the information so I appreciate you helping me understand what will be better and what won't accomplish what I am looking to do.

Really I have only put the short ram in the engine. I have a 2.5 in exhaust cat back on. I recently replaced the distributor cab and the rotor there but nothing to increase power. So your saying don't waste the money on a throttle body... okay.

When you say swap do you mean engine swap??

So seriously what can I put on the to do list.

No turbo since to me if I was going to turbo this car I should just get a engine swap/ new car to make it worth my time.

Last edited:

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Yeah an engine swap. Me personally I love te D series engines, I look at mine and I see so much potential, but it requires a lot of money to make a D series fast. For right now im doing cosmetics and suspension on my car, that's what i would do after you get the car running good. Do you have an automatic transmission?

Yeah an engine swap. Me personally I love te D series engines, I look at mine and I see so much potential, but it requires a lot of money to make a D series fast. For right now im doing cosmetics and suspension on my car, that's what i would do after you get the car running good. Do you have an automatic transmission?
No auto... currently I have a manual 5 spd.

Engine swap = $2-$3000 yes?

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Sweet your off to a great start having a Manual transmission. That's probably a good idea of how much it will cost, you could always swap a D16Y8 in there for a few extra horses. That's a really cheap and easy swap, you might just be able to trade someone your Y7 for a Y8 in good condition. What are your goals for your car man?

Sweet your off to a great start having a Manual transmission. That's probably a good idea of how much it will cost, you could always swap a D16Y8 in there for a few extra horses. That's a really cheap and easy swap, you might just be able to trade someone your Y7 for a Y8 in good condition. What are your goals for your car man?
Well I am a realist in the fact that with the current engine I have I think 200-300 hp is out of the question. With the car only worth $3000 at the most (if I posted for sale today) I have a hard time justifying a $2-3000 exp just to get a new engine.

I really would like some more power and speed. I was happy when I did the intake and exhaust I could see some performance enhancement (yeah not a ton maybe 10% between both.

This is a car I drive everyday, so I figured if I put $1000 worth of upgrades in parts it would be worth it and it would increase power/speed.

However, there is a 96 Integra with only 85,000 miles in my area for $3800 which is awfully tempting! :lol:

y8 swap would be smart, cutting weight, performance clutch and components, but really with out a B series youre going need to build internals to something better. this the stuff I am looking into for my car as well
I did a similar setup with my fog lights except i put them towards the corner or each side of the bunker to make it look a little more stock. How did you wire?
I found a great success by doing an add a circuit to my fuse box. Connected it to my rear pate light and now when i turn on my stock park lights my fogs turn on. Works great! Looks 100% stock on the interior.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Front light bezels? When I bought a throttle body the iacv valve didn't fit on te bottom and I couldn't find any brand tha fit it. I would go with a 60 mm and since your deleting a sensor you might need a tune, I'm not sure. For gods sakes don't buy Godspeed anything they suck and they never fit. Anything over a 60 mm won't fit.