99 lx upgrading

stilldrivin

I have been doing some upgrades to.my civic for a while and really want to move on the engine now. I have a short ram intake and short shift done.i have installed belectronics stir+ fog lights and killer audio setup. Need engine upgrades to warrant great radar detector! engine is stock i believe d16y7. Next i was thinking of upgrading the throttle body, headers+high flow cat, then fuel rail and fuel pump.
Questions.
what size mm on throttle body? 56 or 60?
Should i do other upgrades first?
Also i was told there really isn't really a high flow or high performance cat. Should i just keep stock cat converter?

Cobl18

Registered VIP
To be honest a larger throttlebody really isn't going to get you any power maybe 1-2 horsepower on a good day. D series engines don't respond well to bolt ons, even with a intake and exhaust with no cat I barely tip the scales of 5 extra horsepower on a perfect day. If you want a high flow just get a test pipe and a o2 sensor bung so that your CEL doesn't throw a code. D series engines benefit best from either a swap or boosting it. What all have you done to your car besides engine work? I don't mean to rain on your parade man and welcome to club civic =)

stilldrivin

ha ha no rain! I came here because I wanted the information so I appreciate you helping me understand what will be better and what won't accomplish what I am looking to do.

Really I have only put the short ram in the engine. I have a 2.5 in exhaust cat back on. I recently replaced the distributor cab and the rotor there but nothing to increase power. So your saying don't waste the money on a throttle body... okay.

When you say swap do you mean engine swap??

So seriously what can I put on the to do list.

No turbo since to me if I was going to turbo this car I should just get a engine swap/ new car to make it worth my time.

Last edited:

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Yeah an engine swap. Me personally I love te D series engines, I look at mine and I see so much potential, but it requires a lot of money to make a D series fast. For right now im doing cosmetics and suspension on my car, that's what i would do after you get the car running good. Do you have an automatic transmission?

stilldrivin

Yeah an engine swap. Me personally I love te D series engines, I look at mine and I see so much potential, but it requires a lot of money to make a D series fast. For right now im doing cosmetics and suspension on my car, that's what i would do after you get the car running good. Do you have an automatic transmission?
No auto... currently I have a manual 5 spd.

Engine swap = $2-$3000 yes?

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Sweet your off to a great start having a Manual transmission. That's probably a good idea of how much it will cost, you could always swap a D16Y8 in there for a few extra horses. That's a really cheap and easy swap, you might just be able to trade someone your Y7 for a Y8 in good condition. What are your goals for your car man?

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
y8 swap would be smart, cutting weight, performance clutch and components, but really with out a B series youre going need to build internals to something better. this the stuff I am looking into for my car as well

stilldrivin

Sweet your off to a great start having a Manual transmission. That's probably a good idea of how much it will cost, you could always swap a D16Y8 in there for a few extra horses. That's a really cheap and easy swap, you might just be able to trade someone your Y7 for a Y8 in good condition. What are your goals for your car man?
Well I am a realist in the fact that with the current engine I have I think 200-300 hp is out of the question. With the car only worth $3000 at the most (if I posted for sale today) I have a hard time justifying a $2-3000 exp just to get a new engine.

I really would like some more power and speed. I was happy when I did the intake and exhaust I could see some performance enhancement (yeah not a ton maybe 10% between both.

This is a car I drive everyday, so I figured if I put $1000 worth of upgrades in parts it would be worth it and it would increase power/speed.

However, there is a 96 Integra with only 85,000 miles in my area for $3800 which is awfully tempting! :lol:

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Well 1,000 dollars is a great start so a nice turbo setup. You could do the valve train to get some ponies! That's fairly easy and you would see real results. 1000 dollars for some cool overs and lowering springs would make your ride extra fun to drive =)

stilldrivin

I meant coil overs oops!
Where did you pick up those front light bezels? and that did they run you? Those are killer!

If i decided to give the throttle body a try what would the size be? Would a 60 fit even though its a little big?

stilldrivin

y8 swap would be smart, cutting weight, performance clutch and components, but really with out a B series youre going need to build internals to something better. this the stuff I am looking into for my car as well
I did a similar setup with my fog lights except i put them towards the corner or each side of the bunker to make it look a little more stock. How did you wire?
I found a great success by doing an add a circuit to my fuse box. Connected it to my rear pate light and now when i turn on my stock park lights my fogs turn on. Works great! Looks 100% stock on the interior.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Front light bezels? When I bought a throttle body the iacv valve didn't fit on te bottom and I couldn't find any brand tha fit it. I would go with a 60 mm and since your deleting a sensor you might need a tune, I'm not sure. For gods sakes don't buy Godspeed anything they suck and they never fit. Anything over a 60 mm won't fit.