A/C Compressor Clicking

DaddyFatSaack

I just acquired a 1989 Honda Civic Sedan DX 1.5L with 70,000 miles that had been off the road for about 10 years and was only driven a few years in the field we have in MA so I've been fixing a few things to get it ready for my trip back to Florida. One of the problems was the A/C was not blowing cold air. The compressor would kick on and it would blow fine, just not cold. So I brought it to a buddy's shop about an hour and a half from me and he vacuumed it and retro fitted it to 134a and filled it up. It blows super cold now and did well on the ride home. I got it in car this morning and was using the A/C and now there's a loud constant clicking noise coming from the compressor. It only happens when I turn the A/C on and when its idling, if I hit the accelerator it stops. Then once I let go it starts clicking again. The A/C blows cold and hard still, it's functioning as it should just have that loud clicking noise. Any suggestions or reasons that would cause this? Thanks.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I cant directly identify the source of the noise. Did you install a new belt? Are you sure your buddy put in enough oil in the AC system? Have you checked to see if perhaps theres just a loose bolt? Inspect the bolts at the AC clutch to ensure they're not loose. Have you yet asked your friend, who did the work, if he may have an idea as to what it could be?