a fram oil filter killed my car

justinwebb

Banned
well lets see here where to start: i changed my oil 2 days ago put on a new filter and all that and was working fine until yesterday when i was driving home on my lunch break car loses 3 quarts of oil in 10 miles........get home oil everywhere, clean it all up look at everyhting it all looks fine no craked oil pan no head gasket leaking so i check the filter and it feels a little loose so i tighten it up a little then oil comes gushing out in a stream.....get under the car once again drain all the oil take off the filter and TWO rubber gaskets fall out of it....they were both the same size and were like stacked on top of each other......which explains the odd oil leak.....so i called up fram and they are sending me a claim package.......so i just had to vent.......it just pisses me off that something that minor can f**k up an engine.....it never even occured to me to check it....well that is it anyone have any ideas on what to do to try to fix my car......i am just not having any luck latley with my car getting rear ended and now this

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pics nigga, pics :D

That must suck, reminds me of the time I forgot to throw on the oil cap and had oil shooting out of my hood when I was driving :oops: operator error

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
User error.

Should have noted that your old filter was sans-a-gasket.

Look, I'm sorry this s**t happened to you but the responsibility falls on whomever double gasketed the filter install. Not the company that manufactured the filter.

weksos

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
which rubber gaskets fell out?

FRAM is usually a filter everyone stays away from b/c of their cardboard endcaps. Never heard of rubber gaskets falling out before. SupterTech, WIX, Mobil One, Purolator and Honda (toyo roki) are ones to go with :thumbup:

hopefully FRAM takes care of the problem and no serious damage came out of it.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Step number 12: Once the oil filter is off, inspect the mating surface of the engine block to the filter. Check to see that the rubber gasket on the filter is intact. Because if it's not, part of it may be stuck to the block. If that's the case, you'll have to scrape the old gasket off. Clean the mating surface on the block with your towel and make sure it's free of dirt or other contaminants.

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
User error.

Should have noted that your old filter was sans-a-gasket.

Look, I'm sorry this s**t happened to you but the responsibility falls on whomever double gasketed the filter install. Not the company that manufactured the filter.
umm....I've never put a gasket on whenever I changed my oil filter...it was already done for me by the manufacturer...all I have to do is lube the seal a bit and screw it on...

edit: ah ok I see how it could be a user error now (from the previous install of a filter)

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is why I buy honda filters....

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i use K&N....but they have the nice lil hex nut on the end

Liz

c=}:::::::>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is why I don't change my own oil. If the place screws it up its on them...

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
an oil change place did that, however as soon as they pulled out my car (my old Accord) there was oil all in their parking lot.. they redid my oil change and it was fine after that..

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
Which are made by ...whom? ...oh yeah! Honeywell. The same company that makes Fram filters on the same assembly line in the same factory.

I't just a rookie mistake.

Really, you could just as easily blame Honda for putting the filter in such an awkward place as you could Fram for making the old gasket stick to the block.
:werd: learn how to do the s**t right before you f**k up. and come on here to blame someone for your mistake.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol i have a similar story...

dad decides to change the oil without my permission while im sleeping. so i wake up to him in my room looking for the oil filter. i go out there with him to make sure he does it right. we add the regular ole 3.5quarts and i got in to do a 15 second run to let the new oil run thru the engine before checking the dipstick. so i turn on the car, wait 15 seconds, turn off, dad checks the oil, nothing on the stick. he adds a bunch more, do the same. nothing on the stick. first though: "did u make sure the old oil filter gasket still isn't on the car". i ask him and he says "what are you talking about. the filter is on properly". i look under the car, and all 3.5 quarts + the bunch extra was on the floor. ...."s**t..." goes my dad :lol:.

this is why i never let him do ANYTHING to my car. even just a simple oil change.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've never had a problem with mobil-1 oil filters.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mobil-1 filters are the s**t.

Fram filters are just s**t.

justinwebb

Banned
see i know that it was a double gasket because i took the old one out of the trash and it was still on the filter ;) i'm not retatrded or a rookie i know what i am doing

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
regardless of the filter brand, you should still check the mounting surface for any traces of the old gasket.

I'm sure someone somewhere only used Mobil1 or K&N filters and still managed to double gasket the filter.

Just most of the time, it squirts out on initial startup and the oil changer notices it.

Remember all those 2003 CR-Vs that were catching on fire? The NHTSA ruled that it was from double gasketing the oil filter. That's right! Honda dealership lube monkeys were using Honda filters and still double gasketing that s**t.

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
So, first of all you threw the old filter in the trash? :???:

and you wonder why the Cuyahoga River caught on fire

second of all, you didn't catch that it was double gasketed from the factory when you lubed the gasket? :???:

rookie mistake.
yeah I would almost think that when you lubed up the seal the top gasket would just fall off or would be sticking up pretty high...

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
T!mmy said:
i use K&N....but they have the nice lil hex nut on the end
agreed.. i do the same.. nothing ever falls off of my filters..