AC Evaporation Drain Not Connected = Flooded Floor

Jabooty

I have a 2016 Honda Civic sedan with 15k miles. When cleaning I noticed wetness UNDER the front passenger mat, then to my shock standing water in the rear passenger floor. I looked up some causes and Civic owners are increasingly experiencing this as the AC evaporation hose is not being connected on many 2016 Civics. Its to the right of console on passenger side designed to go out the floor board and drain water evaporation (you see wetness on driveways when cars idle with AC on...that's the water. When not connected that water drains in your Civic.

I took it to dealer after having read forums (not this one) that most dealers recognize problem and address it with warranty. Armed with that knowledge, I made appointment with my dealer in Jersey, detailing I wanted the AC evaporation hose connected, and all insulation and carpeting on passenger side REPLACED, due to mold issue possibility.

Service Tech attempted to say if the line was clogged not covered, stating perhaps I "parked under a tree". I said its a 2016 Civic, if I parked in a forest, it should not drain inside my car amounting to minimally 2 gallons of water (you can hear it slush as I went to the dealer). I brought the posts from Civic owners sharing problem (defect in build) and stated each dealer covered under warranty.

Long story short (too late?), my being vocally louder and detailing many Civics are experiencing this problem with documented screen prints, had them state they will make point on service log that I found other 2016 Civics experienced problem. I left the service area daring them (in my head) not to cover this, how could they explain that??

I received a call two hours later detailing there is "a lot of water in the car" and "you were correct the evaporator hose was not connected". They agreed that the flooring needed to be replaced (found mold), but "we have to contact Honda to see if they would approve". Honda approved - - as if they had a choice (why wouldn't they, if not I clearly like to write...). My car is having the entire passenger side insulation and carpeting replaced. I was told there was mold in the fire wall padding on front wall where passenger may place feet . They are replacing that as well...all, without ability to argue, even though service member checking me in said "we can give you a price on the carpet". I said why would you when this BETTER be covered under warranty. Nice try in Jersey.

I add this here so other 2016 Civic owners who may experience same, have good reason and reference to not accept anything less then full warranty repair (including water damage) should this happen in yours. My 2016 and others, show this is not and oddity, so more will follow. If you hear water, don't doubt it, check your passenger side carpets front and back...if you feel any wetness....you have this problem. Get it fixed before your warranty runs out...and don't stand for any presentation "that they will have to see if it's covered". If it isn't and Civic is under warranty, it would be a gross abuse of service under warranty. Make noise. I didn't have to much more than print out the listings sharing this issue with other owners posting on other blogs.

It's getting fixed, may take 4 days (offered a loaner if longer) and all under warranty. This is August 2017 in New Jersey if your dealer is not aware of this (growing) issue and you have the flood...you will have to be prepped to tell THEM what the issue is when you arrive in service. They will appear to think its nothing major, but my car seats at to be removed to remove all flooring... This is a big ticket, so I doubt they will advertise it. If you are never in your back seat, you may even miss it. Hope this doesn't happen to you, if it does, stand up and find other posts like this to prove its an assembly line issue. My dealer finally agreed. Honda took responsibility, end of day, I hold faith.

Last edited:

Jabooty

Reconnecting the drain hose is very easy. I just wasn't expecting to have an issue like this (not looking out for it) and had no idea that a car can have two gallons of water in it as a result it. They are to remove the entire right side interior floor down to metal now, including passenger seat to remove standing water and air dry, is the expense. Including new insulation under carpet and firewall pad under dash. Labor $$$$ Materials $$. Simply adding a safety clamp to the AC Evaporator hose in design phase...and then actually clipping it closed = priceless (not done). Sorry for the long detail above...I just think this is not a fluke thing, so I wanted 2016 Civic owners to be sensitive to it and any dampness on passenger side floor if AC has been used. If you think you see alittle water, monitor before you need a wet vac! Especially want to monitor before warranty runs out. Never imagined this issue. Many are having it.