AC not as cold when idling

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey guys, i have recently got my ac fixed at the shop cause it wasn't working at all. now it does but for some reason my ac on my civic doesn't run as cold when i'm idling compared to when i'm cruising on the freeway. the mechanic said he recharged the freon as part of the package, but it doesn't seem like it.

so does this sound like a freon problem? or any other reason why the ac won't run as cold when idling?

EM1FTW

5+ Year Member
this is somewhat normal, seeing as how the ac compressor is powered by the crank.
there will be a minor difference, but it shouldnt be huge.
your compressor MIGHT be on the way out, does it make a whole lot of noise when you turn it on?

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is your condenser broken? If not then it should be your compressor.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
theres a high/low pressure switch in the system. when ur car is idling its low pressure on the compressor. so you wont get the coldness you would if u were at a higher idle. its fine as long as its cold air coming out. all cars with a bit of age do this.
but im no a/c mechanic, but i know i had that problem on an older nissan 200sx and thats what it was.

but as long as its cold, your system is fine..

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What RPM is your car idling at?

I set mine around 500 because I need the A/C to kick in without gassing the car a lot.

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this is somewhat normal, seeing as how the ac compressor is powered by the crank.
there will be a minor difference, but it shouldnt be huge.
your compressor MIGHT be on the way out, does it make a whole lot of noise when you turn it on?
yeah i'm assuming my compressor is dying.... but i was hoping not so i was just seeing if there are alternative problems

have you checked to see if the belt is tight?
yeah the belt seems to be tight enough, it should be less than an inch flexing either way correct?

Is your condenser broken? If not then it should be your compressor.
i'm not quite sure, if it was then the mechanic would have told me... he gave me a diganostic print out and just said i had bad grounding connections.... that was it

theres a high/low pressure switch in the system. when ur car is idling its low pressure on the compressor. so you wont get the coldness you would if u were at a higher idle. its fine as long as its cold air coming out. all cars with a bit of age do this.
but im no a/c mechanic, but i know i had that problem on an older nissan 200sx and thats what it was.

but as long as its cold, your system is fine..
yeah i think im just gonna have to live with it, i'm just glad it blows cold air at least

What RPM is your car idling at?

I set mine around 500 because I need the A/C to kick in without gassing the car a lot.
umm i'm idling about that much too, or like around 700rpm, cant tell exactly

jpelizzari

5+ Year Member
Also, when you are "cruising" down the freeway you have outside air being forced thru your condenser which helps cool the refrigerant. In turn helping the ac get colder. And it is true you have a high and low pressure switch, and the adjust with vehicle rpm. So when in idle your ac doesnt blow cold because it's in low pressure, and your crank is turning slower.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mine does the same. its kinda cold when im sitting at idle, then gets colder when im crusing. it gets really cold when i turn it on at night when its already cold. good luck. same prob. i just deal w it.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its normal, my car did it since day 1. slightly cold air at idle, then gets colder when car is moving. very cold on highways. the engine turns faster and its connected to the compressor. also depends how hot it is outside and if your car was sitting in the sun all day (and all the ducting and ac parts are hot)

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
its normal, my car did it since day 1. slightly cold air at idle, then gets colder when car is moving. very cold on highways. the engine turns faster and its connected to the compressor. also depends how hot it is outside and if your car was sitting in the sun all day (and all the ducting and ac parts are hot)
yeap same here. and it turns off at a near WOT it bothers me sometimes.

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ah thanks for the replies guys, guess i'll just have to live with it..... i live in texas so just trying to make life easier lol

something else that i forgot to note, i had 20% tint all around right before summer but i had to take off the 2 fronts during inspection cause the a*****e at the shop said it's too dark...... now when i drive around in the sun it really does feel a lot hotter, not sure if it's just me or what

Omar EJ6

5+ Year Member
ah thanks for the replies guys, guess i'll just have to live with it..... i live in texas so just trying to make life easier lol

something else that i forgot to note, i had 20% tint all around right before summer but i had to take off the 2 fronts during inspection cause the a*****e at the shop said it's too dark...... now when i drive around in the sun it really does feel a lot hotter, not sure if it's just me or what
Yes is true.

When I used to have window tints during the day the car used to feel more colder.

My problem with my A/C is that when i am on a dry stop there car star to lower RPM and the enginee start to shake in a period of shocks, what could be, I dont really know and every time I take it up to the mechanics it doesnt do the problem. Usually I have this problem on really hot days. Can some one have an idea of why my car is doing this.