adjust boost/psi on internal wastegate???

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just recieved my dsm t25 turbo, and want to know how to adjust the boost on the internal wastegate. It seems sealed, so i can't replace the spring (without breaking it)... and I heard eclipses run 8-10 psi stock, and Im looking to run 6.

any ideas???

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
your only option, really, is to find a different wastegate actuator that will work in that scenerio/mounting, and be closer to what you want.
you can make an internal wastegate actuator work to hold "more" boost, but not "less".. Not cost-effectively, anyway.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea, you can't run less boost then the internal waste gate will give. You can only run more with a boost controller.

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just stumbled (literally, wasnt even looking for it) across this online: think it'll work?

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes, this will indeed work. But beware of BOOST CREEP... watch it like a hawk.

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
qwikxr said:
Yes, this will indeed work. But beware of BOOST CREEP... watch it like a hawk.
boost creep? is that when the nut slips, and the boost amount increases? i'll be running a boost gauge to constantly monitor pressure... so idunno.

ElantraTuner

Respect the Hyundai :P
5+ Year Member
boost creep is when your psi jumps beyond without your spring is set for without your changing the boost. honestly i'd just recommend keeping it at the 8psi. to try and turn DOWN the boost will just cuase problems. theres a guy on our site who did what you're doing and when he turned it down he just got more lag and its just a pain

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That mod on IHI turbocharger without modifying wastegate flapper = BOOM!

at least I'm pretty sure that's what happened on the Zook. :oops:

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont need to adjust it, its a tiny turbo as it is, you will be fine if you tune it well

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What are you guys talking about :what: of course you can adjust your boost with an internal waste gate, I did. All you have to do is bend or cut the rod that goes to the wg. I have a dsm 14b snail that's pushing out 8psi, I think they originally come with like 14 or 16psi stock.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm just relaying what a knowledgeable Subie tuner told me about the wastegate flapper on IHI t/cs. Boost creep kills.

There's a company that modifies the wastegate flapper for that very purpose.

The little bridge of metal between the intake and exhaust valve on my G10? It wasn't just cracked there. It was gone. Big chunk of metal just gone. Blown In the catalyst maybe...:what: vaporized??? ...who knows? there were cracks between the ex valve and spark plug hole and all the way through to the sealing surface of the head.

My G10 got knocked the f#$ out.

It was only a $100 car that I got because the original owner could not diagnose a timing belt that was missing some teeth. :lol: I wasn't too broken up over my loss.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've never had boost creep :D but I also wouldn't mind either adding an internal wg or just getting another turbo all together

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Biz-
I've got a spare .60AR-C//48AR-T Garrett T3 in good shape =)

I'm running a Turbonetics T3/T04E .50AR-C, .63 AR-T Stg3 with TIAL 38mm EWG @ 10psi...

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks all, i might try to bend the rod like bizonitch said... Would bending it (essentially making it shorter) give less boost, or more?

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jaredkay said:
thanks all, i might try to bend the rod like bizonitch said... Would bending it (essentially making it shorter) give less boost, or more?
Ther shorter you make the rod the less boost :D

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i stink i found a solution...

Its hard to see, but if you add washers behind the acutator mounting plate, it'll push the wg flap open more. Should work imo.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whoa..wait..so putting washers between the mounting points of the wastegate gives u more boost?..not disagreeing (interested) but how does it work?

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ehhh shoulda just left it as it was...8 psi woulda been just fine honestly....

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Chaos said:
ehhh shoulda just left it as it was...8 psi woulda been just fine honestly....
thats what i said