Advice on buying a used civic

icekin

5+ Year Member
I've been car hunting quite a bit over the last few weeks. I'm looking for a used Honda Civic, preferably a 4 door sedan. I'm particularly interested in the 1.5 litre GL (1992 to 1996 model). I've spoken to many mechanics and read reviews; it seems to be a pretty decent car.

Here is a link to one such ad for the car : http://www.autoline.com.au/vehicle/1239775.html

The problem has been locating a good used civic. I've been to 3 private sellers (found on carsales.com and gumtree), but the condition of the car left much to be desired and they were reluctant to the idea of me taking it to RACV or a mechanic to have it checked. I've been to used car yards, but the prices are always a bit inflated and there are many horror stories floating around about experiences with used car salesmen.

I'm particularly interested in buying from honda mechanics or enthusiasts as I can be a bit more confident about the way the car has been fixed and maintained.

Can anyone suggest good places to start looking? My budget is around $5k with RWC and Rego). I'd also appreciate any other tips such as what to look out for etc.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You might get better help on OZHonda.com, since they'll be much more familiar with Australian law. =)

I'd try to make some sort of suggestion on issues to look for, but I don't know much about 5th gen Civics ('92-'95 here in the US).