Advice on finding good home for my baby

Cynthia

Respected
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and the reason I am here is because of my beloved 1994 Civic DX sedan. Recently I've become ill and may not be able to drive my car much longer. Instead of just selling her to the highest bidder, I really wanted to find someone who loved Civics, especially this generation of Civics, and wanted to find a car to work on, take care of, and keep.

I'm not sure how to find a good home for my baby, so I wondered if anyone on this forum could tell me how to go about that? My car is in excellent shape, still used as my primary transportation. She has around 187,500 total miles, and had a new engine installed in 2010 that had around 80,000 miles on it. Body is in excellent shape with a little wrinkling at rear driver's side back fender. Color is camellia red pearl, although it looks more purple, hence her name, "Sugarplum." She has been treated with tender, loving care since I've owned her (1998) and had regular mechanical work done. (I have all the papers/documentation).

Yes, I know I could sell her on the open market, but I am not looking for just someone to buy her, but someone to take care of her as I have. Any suggestions? I'm not quite ready to give her up just yet, but wanted to ask while I still could and line someone up. My location is in northeast Ohio.

Thanking all of your in advance for any help, suggestions or letting me know if you would be interested in taking on the care of my Sugarplum.

Sincerely,

Cynthia

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

You can try places like Honda Tech classified. I'm not sure of their restrictions on new users. Here we have a 30-day/30-post rule, but to be totally honest our classifies section is pretty dead.

Honestly, I would recommend posting it publicly / open, but screen out the potential buyers. It's your car, if you have an inkling that someone might not treat the car well, you can always turn them down from the sale. I would make it clear that, if you post on Craiglist or local facebook classifies in your area, etc., that you state you're not willing to part it out, and that you'd like to speak with the potential buyers before selling. Many times you can get a feel for how potential buyers will act simply by a phone call or text conversation, or even in person.

Good luck with finding her a new home!!

Cynthia

Respected
:welcome:

You can try places like Honda Tech classified. I'm not sure of their restrictions on new users. Here we have a 30-day/30-post rule, but to be totally honest our classifies section is pretty dead.

Honestly, I would recommend posting it publicly / open, but screen out the potential buyers. It's your car, if you have an inkling that someone might not treat the car well, you can always turn them down from the sale. I would make it clear that, if you post on Craiglist or local facebook classifies in your area, etc., that you state you're not willing to part it out, and that you'd like to speak with the potential buyers before selling. Many times you can get a feel for how potential buyers will act simply by a phone call or text conversation, or even in person.

Good luck with finding her a new home!!
Thanks for the information. My problem is that I don't quite have the health right now to undertake selling the car, vetting buyers, etc. And I don't think I am going to get a lot better in the long run. That is why I hoped to locate someone who would be interested and then that person could be contacted when the time comes and my estate would be settled. Sort of a win-win - a good home for my baby and a beautiful car for someone who was looking for just this model. Just call me a dreamer!

But I thank you for your response. It is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Cynthia

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for the information. My problem is that I don't quite have the health right now to undertake selling the car, vetting buyers, etc. And I don't think I am going to get a lot better in the long run. That is why I hoped to locate someone who would be interested and then that person could be contacted when the time comes and my estate would be settled. Sort of a win-win - a good home for my baby and a beautiful car for someone who was looking for just this model. Just call me a dreamer!

But I thank you for your response. It is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Cynthia
In that case, if you can, see if you can post it in Honda-Tech classifies. Just say pretty much what you're saying here. You may get some people who are genuinely interested in the car and want to preserve it. I would think posting it on a Honda related website should weed out all those people looking for just a cheap beater, etc.

I also wish you the very best with your health!

Cynthia

Respected
In that case, if you can, see if you can post it in Honda-Tech classifies. Just say pretty much what you're saying here. You may get some people who are genuinely interested in the car and want to preserve it. I would think posting it on a Honda related website should weed out all those people looking for just a cheap beater, etc.

I also wish you the very best with your health!
You have been so kind, and I thank you, and the forum members, for reading my message and trying to help. There is great news as of today - I found a young man who collects and treasures Hondas and is delighted to take on the care and feeding of my Sugarplum when the time comes. He even told me all about the garage he has ready to house her! He works for Honda as well. This has made my heart so much lighter.

Again, thank you for taking the time to listen to my story and try and help me. I appreciate it very much.

Best,
Cynthia

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You have been so kind, and I thank you, and the forum members, for reading my message and trying to help. There is great news as of today - I found a young man who collects and treasures Hondas and is delighted to take on the care and feeding of my Sugarplum when the time comes. He even told me all about the garage he has ready to house her! He works for Honda as well. This has made my heart so much lighter.

Again, thank you for taking the time to listen to my story and try and help me. I appreciate it very much.

Best,
Cynthia
Great news! Very good to hear. =)