AEM fuel rails....

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what exactly do they do? are they worth it? and what type of setups would you be using for these?

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think i heard you would only really need to mess with fuel management when using forced induction. other than that, i think you can use them, but it will be more for looks

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fuel rails allow more fuel to be flowed to your injectors.... you should be getting a rail if you upgrade to bigger ones.

a crazy n/a setup would also require the use of a fuel rail.... it's not necessarily just for boost applications.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but for a stock engine...is it useless?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Rice4Brains"

but for a stock engine...is it useless?
Yes. You have no need for that much extra fuel.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so its basically for forced induction, and crazy n/a setups?

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no no...it was a serious question. i wasnt mocking you are anything like that, i was seriously asking what situations you would actually need a fuel rail...and would it hurt to have one before these mods?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Rice4Brains"

no no...it was a serious question. i wasnt mocking you are anything like that, i was seriously asking what situations you would actually need a fuel rail...and would it hurt to have one before these mods?
Well, its going to depend on how much power you want to make. I'm not really sure how much fuel the stock lines will flow so i have no idea what kind of power levels or mods call for new fuel rails.
My stock fuel rails will support somewhere in the neighborhood of 450-500 hp before any problems start showing up, along with running into some of the limitations of the returnless style fuel system that the new mustangs come with :roll:
I would think that you would need to be making some crazy numbers before the fuel rail would be needed. If it were me, i wouldn't bother with a fuel rail until i needed it, like maybe install one when you install your turbo (if you are planning on making enough power to need the fuel rail.)
Maybe someone else can elaborate on what i said, and maybe give some power levels that the stock rail will no longer supply enough fuel.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Team 4R"

fuel rails allow more fuel to be flowed to your injectors.... you should be getting a rail if you upgrade to bigger ones.

specialk3200

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
IF you are going to get fuel rails you should upgrade your injectors as well, otherwise the fuel rail is pointless

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
heres the way to look at your fuel system- it will only flow as well as its most restrictive part. so when you want to improve flow, you work on the weakest link first, which is usually not the fuel rail. only when your rail becomes the limiting factor in flow should you replace it.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you're assuming everyone knows what the weakest link in their flow system will be at any given time....... most wouldn't. when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its pretty simple to find out, everything on there has a flow rating, from injectors, to pumps to fuel rails. whatever part has the lowest flow rating is the weakest link.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont know the flow rating on anything i have...how would i find it out

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
off the top of my head i dont know the stock flow ratings, but you can find it in the factory service manual, or a search on google or h-t or other board.