Aftermarket Shift knob installation.

Collin Boddy

Hi I have a Neo chrome nrg shift knob that I tried to installed and failed appearantly. What do I need to connect the knob tof the actual shift boot itself? I've tried to search a few different areas but none are very detailed in actually trying to connect the knob to the boot. Would I need an actual aftermarket shift boot as well? I have a 2005 honda civic lx 5 speed manual. Thank you.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The boot will sag. I have this problem with my RSX (ironically with a neo chrome shift knob too lol).

I fixed it by taking some electrical tape and wrapping it around the shifter just below where the the top of the boot sits. Then I forced the boot over the top of the tape. With the tape there providing extra thickness, the top of the boot catches on it and prevents it from sagging. To be honest it still sits about 1" from the bottom of the shift knob, but compared to the boot sagging all the way I really don't mind it at all.

If you don't care about the boot sagging just screw on the new knob and you're good to go.

RED95EGEX23

If possible, might I suggest securing a ziptie around the shaft to keep the boot from sagging before installing it onto the center console?