Aftermarket sunroofs

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anyone have an aftermarket sun/moon roof installed? people tell me it's a bad idea, rubbers tend to go, but these people don't have any installed though. Just wanted to get the good word from someone who actually had one put in

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm pretty sure I read in one sunroof/moonroof thread where someone had once had one in a previous car. i don't think he liked it though.

racing_kid

take that sucka!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i used to work at a shop where they installed sun roofs.....

I saw what went on and i wouldn't recommend it.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Think it might be a better idea to get an old roof from an SI or something from a scrap yard, and just install that??

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No. They do not install in the same fashion and a factory moonroof on a roof that is not meant for it will leak horribly.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I worked at a dealership once that had a bodyshop in it though, the roofs from an si and dx look like they would be interchangable, just be a matter of wiring the roof up to a switch I would think

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its not a question of whether its interchangable.... the roof in a DX is not meant to hold a moon roof, the Si on the other hand is.... You would have a serious leak problem, take it from someone who knows first hand

chow

Its hard to convert KMH
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my friend has a 92-95 DX with a aftermarket sunroof installed from the previous owner. leaks a little when rained upon. probably cuz the rubber is cracking away. easily fix i think.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It won't necesarily leak. Just depends on the quality of the product and the ability of the installer

My Daytona had T-Tops installed by Cal-Custom and they didn't leak.

A friend had a 280ZX with an aftermarket cheap Pep-Boys pop up. It leaked like a sieve.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
It won't necesarily leak. Just depends on the quality of the product and the ability of the installer

My Daytona had T-Tops installed by Cal-Custom and they didn't leak.

A friend had a 280ZX with an aftermarket cheap Pep-Boys pop up. It leaked like a sieve.
:werd: i've seen quite a few sunroofs that were installed and done right, just ask to look at them before they put it in and base your decision on the quality of the product, i'd be lost w/o my sunroof (get claustaphobic sp? )

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Definately a lot more research to be done then....All i know is that w/o air conditioning, i need something!!

Yes it gets hotup in the Great White North

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The 280ZX was pretty funny because the visors were old and curved so they'd fill up with water. A day after the rain he could turn left hard and sling water all over the passenger. :lol:

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had one in my last car. A simple pop tilt one. Mine never leaked after 7 years. I really believe it is in the quality of the product and installer.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm looking for one that slides, either manual or electric

Definately more research as i said, thanks for your input guys

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
I worked at a dealership once that had a bodyshop in it though, the roofs from an si and dx look like they would be interchangable, just be a matter of wiring the roof up to a switch I would think
Go look at a car with a factory moonroof. I tried finding a pic of mine that I had, but couldn't find it. Now, open the moonroof. What does it look like along the inner line of the roof along the moonroof?

You should notice the metal of the roof "falls" in around the outter edge of the moonroof. The moonroof glass is lined with rubber.

On an aftermarket moonroof the roof is lined with rubber and the glass often is not.

Point being, when you cut into a roof you usually dont' weld new metal on to be the lip like the factory moonroof.

Yes, you can switch roof liners (the entire metal shell I mean). Would I recommend it? No.

Why no you might ask... I'd say it's too much of a gamble. Just personal preferance for the most part. It seems like nearly every story I hear about an aftermarket monroof is a horror story.

You better find yourself a good body man with a loit of experience. Also make sure you look at some of his other work with installing moonroofs.
renegadex96 said:
Definately a lot more research to be done then....All i know is that w/o air conditioning, i need something!!

Yes it gets hotup in the Great White North
"Summers are usually hot and humid with daytime highs usually reaching the mid to high 20's. Temperatures in the low to mid 30's occur 6-10 times per year. Rainfall is modest and periods of drought are not uncommon. The heaviest rainfalls tend to occur during thunderstorms."

That Clesius people. 25C equals out to be around 77F.

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had one put it on my 2000 civic dx. it was awesome. had the controls customized to the roof near the mirror. my aftermarket moon/sun roof opened out wards and tilted. the stock ones open inward and dont tilt

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my friend had one on his 97dx coupe....it worked...no leaks....

heres a picture on the white civic

click me

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
chadi said:
my friend had one on his 97dx coupe....it worked...no leaks....
That's exactly what i'm looking for. Any idea by chance on the name of the company that made the moonroof?

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow. NO AC? I didnt realize they made cars in the last 20 years without AC... that is suicide my friend.