Air intake [water trap]

bubbles

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive been battling to get a good answer from your guys... please help.....Will it make a difference if i remove my water trap under my air filter box,,,its connected to my air filter and this is how these cars comes out standard...I dont want to remove the filter housing and replace it with a cone filter,i just want to keep the boxed housing ,,,[it looks better]...will it make a difference in performance wise if i remove the water trap under the filter housing....[take a look at the pic] What are these cold intakes your guys talk about

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It may help a little bit, but if you want noticable performance, you need a short ram air or cold air intake. The short ram is a short tube with a filter at the end. Shortens the path and increases the flow of air to your engine. The cold air is essentially the same only it is longer and runs into your wheel well so it doesn't get the heated air around your engine. The short ram will give you better throttle response and peak power, while the cold air will give you better power over the whole powerband (in most cases)

Short Ram:

Cold Air

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dont be fooled into thinking AEM is the only brand worthy of purchasing either...

i have a no name cai, and it works perfectly fine.... hell, we just cut off the airbox on my buds dx, stuck a filter on it and it sounds and works fine.....

the amount of horsepower or tourque that is gained by a intake is so minimal, that i feel no one company has a superior intake....

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes what he said, I just pulled those off of AEM's website, but I have a VB Performance (canadian brand) short ram. They all make pretty much the same power between brands. Differences are not even like 1hp between brands.

bubbles

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks caddy

One more question....i read that honda's run very hot under the hood and making holes in your air box or running a cone [short air intake] is not good.....performance will drop,,,is this true

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Re: thanks caddy

Originally posted by bubbles
One more question....i read that honda's run very hot under the hood and making holes in your air box or running a cone [short air intake] is not good.....performance will drop,,,is this true
only if you get a short ram, because your sucking in hot air.

nutt7

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I pulled my water trap off my civic and it sounds like I have an intake. performance and fuel economy increased slightly, but still noticable
Also, on my last civic, I had a short ram int. and my car lost mad angry power in the summers here in AZ (especially in traffic w/ the a/c on) turns out the IAT sensor changes the ignition timing when the air is to hot to protect the engine against knocking