alarm installation.... worst outcome?

92civic

Spunky
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im in the market for an alarm... so im deciding if i should get a shop to install it for $140... or let me friend do it for $90... i just wanna know what 's the worst that can happen if he messes up... i heard it can fry to ECU or not? should i let me friend go for it... or leave it to the shop... thanks let me know... my friend has only installed one alarm before....

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can't fry the ecu, it has nothing to do with the ecu.

kaace

I'm getting there...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
alarms are pretty simple for anyone that has done any type of wiring...you can get the wiring diargrams at the12volt.com ...thats what i did...i had no problems...just dont get stoned or drunk and you'll be fine...

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Fly me out there and I'll do it for free. Only thing that may happen is you may fry the brain, or blow a fuse.

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
whatever.
Yes you can fry the ecu to the car by installing an alarm wrong. You can also meltdown you main power harness and secondary harnesses at the steering column.
On your car though it is pretty straight foward and there is less chance of foul up. I think that for an easy install on your vehicle half the wires can be plugged straight into the fuse box.
If you have automatic doors they are right in the kick as well as the door trigger/domlight. Green with a red if I remember right.
On a newer vehicle I always cringe at the do it yourself mentsality. Always laughh at kids that bring me their 2000+ cars and ask what going on I only installed an alarm.

92civic

Spunky
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
snoopy316 said:
whatever.
Yes you can fry the ecu to the car by installing an alarm wrong. You can also meltdown you main power harness and secondary harnesses at the steering column.
On your car though it is pretty straight foward and there is less chance of foul up. I think that for an easy install on your vehicle half the wires can be plugged straight into the fuse box.
If you have automatic doors they are right in the kick as well as the door trigger/domlight. Green with a red if I remember right.
On a newer vehicle I always cringe at the do it yourself mentsality. Always laughh at kids that bring me their 2000+ cars and ask what going on I only installed an alarm.

yeah its not the civic... its actually a 2001 honda accord thats why... everythings a bit more complicated... i should just leave it to the shop huh? haha

PiNoY Ep3 SI

Mouse Car Driver
5+ Year Member
Those year accords can be a little tricky if you cut the starter in the wrong place you will cause a check engine light, and you also have to run wires to the passanger side to get the power door locks to work. I would suggest a shop do the install and not your friend.

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get the shop to do it. Spend the money for peace of mind and so you can complain to someone if something goes wrong.