(almost) drop in replacement for 6x9 rear speakers?

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 97 EX sedan and want to replace the rear 6x9 speakers but I want as close to a drop in replacement as possible. Anybody have problems with compatibilities of aftermarket 6x9s?

Any recommends? I was thinking Infinity Kappa, Boston Accoustics, or Alpines.

I was also looking at the Ebay Alpines and BA's (new only).

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I got 6x9 Infinity Kappas, and they are a straight drop in. The only thing I do notice that is my speaker covers aren't flush (it's in a hatch, I dunno how the speakers are set in a sedan), but it's not a big problem for me.

ComCool

Muhahaha...
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SiGSR said:
I got 6x9 Infinity Kappas, and they are a straight drop in. The only thing I do notice that is my speaker covers aren't flush (it's in a hatch, I dunno how the speakers are set in a sedan), but it's not a big problem for me.
What size speakers are the ones in the doors in a hatch?

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
most 6x9 if not all will be a drop in install, i dont think you will need a mounting bracket or anything. i have jl audio 6x9s and they fit fine. the only speakers you might have a problem with is if you ever put one in is the front door speakers because of the depth space and some speakers may need a mounting bracket and the door speaker cover wont even close.

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have infinity references for the past 4 years and so far its performing like it should. 6x9's fits perfectly into the slot.

9civic7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 97 dx and i put 6x9 bostons in the rear deck and they fit perfectly

Cheapdog

Computer Engineer
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 99 EX sedan, and I put Kenwood Excelon Dual-Mag 6x9s in mine. They fit perfectly and sound great.

N1EX

Red_Robin
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My Pioneers dropped straight into my 96 EX, you shouldnt have any problems with fitment.

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ComCool said:
What size speakers are the ones in the doors in a hatch?
6 1/2" front, rears are 6x9"

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
installing the door speakers are more time and trouble then doing the 6x9

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cool.. thanks all... so how do I install the 6x9s? It doesn't seem like the rear deck grille (sedan) will pry off like the doors did. Do I have to take the whole rear deck off?

barbie73127

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 96 civic ex coupe, i have recently installed infinity kappa 6x9 in the back, they did just drop right in, but i did have to get spacers to hold it firmly to the deck, it wouldnt tighten down enough. yes you have to take the whole rear deck off