Alright, Club Civic- It's story time. What's the best car story you've got?

Colton A

I'll start.

This was back when I was a junior in high school (Go Mustangs!). This was also a good 4 years before I got into cars. I had just gotten my driver's license. I had been dreaming about what car I was going to be allowed to drive. Out of all of the cars we had, I got stuck with the worst of the lot. Parents said they were sticking me with an Acura sedan (don't remember make or model) and I get stuck with a 2000 Honda Odyssey with a broken sliding door and 200,000+ miles. f**k. My. Life.
I warmed up to it over time though, I mean for its lack of heating, electrical problems, dents, tearing seats, and its innate ability to dry up my chances of picking up girls like the Sahara Desert in July, it was the ideal vehicle for a weekend with the guys. You didn't care about get the seats dirty because they're practically falling apart, you don't care about how slow the ride was because you have an amazing aftermarket stereo system (aftermarket I guess because none of the other Odyssey's could hold a candle to it) and all of your best friends piled in, and you didn't care about how the right door got jammed constantly because we turned it into a game of who could close it manually the fastest. Great car, loads of good memories in that thing. We called it the SS Ladmobile because it carried the whole crew and turned like a f**king cruise liner.
The reason I highlight all of these things is because I am thoroughly convinced that if I had a bad bond with this car this next bit would have probably killed me.

It was a snowy winter night in December when I was driving up the highway to visit my mom, road conditions were bad but i was managing well thus far. Ice patches everywhere, you can't see anything 50ft in front of you, and nobody is on the road aside from me. As I neared my off-ramp to get onto the back roads for the last leg of my journey, I spotted what I thought was the familiar sight of two oddly placed street lamps (but like the kind that sits lower to the ground) i've only ever seen them on that off-ramp and for that reason take it as a sign of security. Wrong. The offramp wasn't for another half-mile. Those were the headlights of a very confused old person, barrelling down the wrong side of the highway, like I had heard in the horror stories of other drivers. I was going about 60 or 70 MPH at this point, he was going probably closer to 90 MPH. As soon as I realize what's happening, my brain goes into auto pilot and does something really f**king weird. I cranked the wheel hard to the left, and pulled the hand brake. The car doesn't change course because old guy, and this behemoth of a minivan skirts right past him like it was nothing. I drifted a f**king minivan. Godspeed, SS Ladmobile. Godspeed.

Your turn, CC.

Addendum- About two months later, the SS Ladmobile was totaled when some jackass in a Dodge Challenger whipped out of a turn at a red light in front of me. Never doubt the power of a 3.5 liter V6. And that is how I got my first and current Civic, no name thus far. If any of you have a good idea for what to name this thing, write it in your post. I'll look through regularly and post when the name is chosen.

Last edited: